• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starter that’ll fit between header tubes

Garand-chan

Local time
11:29 AM
Reaction score
Aight, I never want to have to fight another starter to fit between my headers again. It’s a 318 in my ‘72 Charger with Hooker long tube headers. The stock style mini starters for a Durango or Dakota will fit if I wrestle, pry, and bleed for hours, but I’m done with it. Do any of you know of an even smaller starter? I’ve seen a couple, but they’ve both been in the five or six hundred dollar range. I was looking at the Powermaster 19513 because it looks pretty small in the picture on Summit and I’m super happy with my Powermaster alternator. Any input is super appreciated.

Starter goes in first, then I hang the header. That’s what I did on my 72 . I have never had any problems since , just use good gaskets and tighten evenly.

Good luck on that quest....I just hung new TTI headers on my 383 and the mini starter had to come out and go in at the same time as the headers, sucks but is what it is.....can't pull the headers with the starter on and can't remove the starter with the headers on!

In the rankings of "what question has been asked about Mopars the most?", this one has got
to be a top contender....
Due diligence time!
search box.png

I remember one car I had that the exhaust had a cross over pipe up front and had to take it apart and drop the exhaust to get the starter out. What a pain. Seems like no matter what it is truck or car starter's are not an easy thing to get in and out. Just changed my starter on my F350 duly and took better part of a day to take it out and put the new one in. The top bolt was only a quarter turn at a time. Just no room to work. Wish those engineer's that design vehicles had to work on them then maybe they would make them better to work on. LOL.

The header can be bent...You won't really lose any performance and it's amazing what a half an inch of clearance will do...

The best cure i've found for Mopar starter issues isn't a smaller starter, it's different headers. I paid a relatively hi price for schumacher tri y headers, but WELL worth it. I can pull my starter in minutes. Plenty of spark plug clearance. Even the header install was a piece of cake. I think schumacher may have went under, but accurate exhaust may have them. As that is who made them for schumacher.

For a small block, I know that Hooker "Super Comps" are much easier to fit and work around than "Comps".

...and are priced higher.

The best cure i've found for Mopar starter issues isn't a smaller starter, it's different headers. I paid a relatively hi price for schumacher tri y headers, but WELL worth it. I can pull my starter in minutes. Plenty of spark plug clearance. Even the header install was a piece of cake. I think schumacher may have went under, but accurate exhaust may have them. As that is who made them for schumacher.
Agree that its all in the header design. I have a set of ancient hooker adjustables. I also have a brand new genuine mopar performance mini starter...... that wont work. The solenoid is in exactly the same spot a header tube runs.
On the other hand, i can get my big old 40lbs gear reduction starter in or out without touching the header. One header tube on each side runs thru the fenderwell. Maybe thats why there is room for the starter.

In the rankings of "what question has been asked about Mopars the most?", this one has got
to be a top contender....
Due diligence time!
View attachment 1116000
Thanks. I did try searching. Maybe I was just too stupid to find somebody else with my exact engine and header combo that found a setup that works. Sorry ‘bout that.

For a small block, I know that Hooker "Super Comps" are much easier to fit and work around than "Comps".

...and are priced higher.
Well, I just don’t wanna have to play with pulling headers anymore. Some of the bolt heads are impossible to get to with anything other than an open ended wrench. Plus, when the back two bolts come out, the holes will shoot coolant down the exhaust and all over the gasket unless I drain some first. It’s just a headache.

Aight, I never want to have to fight another starter to fit between my headers again. It’s a 318 in my ‘72 Charger with Hooker long tube headers. The stock style mini starters for a Durango or Dakota will fit if I wrestle, pry, and bleed for hours, but I’m done with it. Do any of you know of an even smaller starter? I’ve seen a couple, but they’ve both been in the five or six hundred dollar range. I was looking at the Powermaster 19513 because it looks pretty small in the picture on Summit and I’m super happy with my Powermaster alternator. Any input is super appreciated.
If the mini starter doesn't work for you then you will need to break out the checkbook for a Powermaster. (And good luck)

Six cyl starters have a shorter "can" than V8 starters.

Doesn't help with width (diameter), but can allow a pivot where the longer ones won't.

Many times the main issue is when pulling the starter forwards, it contacts the header tube before the nose clears the transmission.

Well, I just don’t wanna have to play with pulling headers anymore. Some of the bolt heads are impossible to get to with anything other than an open ended wrench. Plus, when the back two bolts come out, the holes will shoot coolant down the exhaust and all over the gasket unless I drain some first. It’s just a headache.

I put in studs on those front and back locations.

That keeps the water in (unless they turn while removing the nut).

Then you can also hang the flange on a stud and pivot the header around without it (for the most part) falling down.

Ya working on cars can be a PITA.

Auto Transport Service
Back