• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starter

Master Gunner

Accelerati Rapidus Maximus
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:04 PM
Reaction score
Anyone know where to get the old style mopar starter? Everywhere I go they all supersede to the new "mini" starters. Yes, I know it's probably a better starter, but there's something about the sound of the originals that's just right.

Mark

I have many original style starters, if you are looking for a specific Date code PM me.

I have a half dozen rebuilt original starters. I don't know any date codes, most may be mixed. I have never cared about the date codes, but like you prefer the original sound.

20210927_160502.jpg

With this car numbers matching is no big deal, just like the sound. It seems that rebuilding starters and alternators has become a thing of the past. Trying one last shot for one of our suppliers, but if that doesn't pan out I'll be taking you up on one. I do have a core if you need/want one.

Mark

If you have a local rebuild shop have them rebuild one for you. I do all my vehicles that way, old cars and late model drivers. No auto zone stuff for me.

Agree with first post I like the sound of the stock gear reduction starter.

If you can't find a rebuild shop near you, better off buying one from one of our members.
Re built by a guy who "knows" the Mopar.
Can't beat that.

Most of the time it's the bendix and or the contacts inside where hot lead comes in. Check bushing wear if you decide to dive into it. There some minor differences in the starters. If you want to do a look inside download a service manual. https://mymopar.com/service-manuals/

Ok, last vender craped out, showed a pic of correct starter in description, but what we got was the mini. Just for hoots, I brought in an old one that's been sitting under my bench for the last 6 or 7 years and put it on our tester. The SOB works just fine. So now the question is to mount it up, or try to get a reman. I don't have to worry about headers caging it, and the car's getting put up for the winter anyway.
Thoughts?

Mark

Clean it up, put it on and use it. Gives you plenty of time to shop.

Put in in and try it. Notice any faults it has, or if it works perfect. Then go from there.

Auto Transport Service
Back