• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starting engine without k frame?

74Runneer

Local time
8:33 PM
Reaction score
I have my k frame out because it's getting cleaned up, welded, and painted and I just replaced the oil pan gasket and rear main seal while I had access. Is there a good way to start the engine with it just on Jack stands? Id like to check to see if it leaks while I still have access to the oil pan.

I think you could build a 2x4 frame to stabilize the engine off the floor. Bolt it to the mounts or block ears with some angle/flat iron.
Mike

A first start is likely to involve an unexpected quick rev. Stand in front or back and have a fire extinguisher handy.

What's so wrong with having the engine on jack stands while the k member is out? Id obviously secure the engine to some sort of frame before starting it. But it may just be easier to put the k member back on temporarily to see if I have any leaks.

What's so wrong with having the engine on jack stands while the k member is out? Id obviously secure the engine to some sort of frame before starting it. But it may just be easier to put the k member back on temporarily to see if I have any leaks.

Your intent was not so "obvious". You said, "start the engine with it just on jack stands".
All we have to go by is what is posted.:) Be safe with your intent. Plan for the stuff that can go wrong.

You are way better off, and much safer to build a stand than any configuration of jackstands. The torque on start up alone is enough to upend those jackstands. Only bad things can happen from there. I can guarantee that a leak will be the least of your problems.

Even something like this is asking for big trouble.
maxresdefault.jpg

Heck you don't even need jack stands. Just set it on a table and have these bozos hold on to it. Unbelievable and it's at an automotive tech school.

Is there a good way to start the engine with it just on Jack stands?

Maybe if you stated it more clearly in the beginning it wouldn't have gotten questioned as such........I can only go on what you initially posted....

Sounds like something Wile E. Coyote would do.

Just because it looks good on paper......

Auto Transport Service
Back