• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

starting issue

Normal. This is a test.

Bad Ing switch or bad connection for the ballast bypass

Am I nuts or do you release the key from the cranking position and back to the run position to allow it to run without the starter running at the same time?

It starts then you release the key, His sounds like bad ignition switch, wonder if this happens all the time or just started? 1969 Hemi RTs What have you checked so far?

Something is amiss in the start circuit. Either a bad ballast resistor or a bad connection somewhere along the way. It sounds like it cranks in start position, correct?

first I should have included more info! Sorry. I have a 1967 HP 440. stock rebuild w/a Hugh's whiplash cam kit.new Jeg's elec ignition kit. new engine harness for elec, car is a 1968 Road Runner. 4 spd. we bought all new parts hoping to have no trouble. when we first tried to start it. it cranked and cranked and nothing. 3rd attempt I noticed a it hit at the end. so I started to just bump the key. this resulted in it starting. I have tried another ballast. and another ign switch. with the same results. it should start with the starter engaged? it doesn't seam to do this. I know very well sounds but that is what I am dealing with. I also checked current at coil. 1.06 - side (in run pos), and (5.71) + side (in run pos), and also checked 1.07 - side (cranking pos) and 9.16 (in cranking pos). also keep in mind the ballast I check with was off of a running car! and I tried 3 switches! including the OE one. and same results.

to be clear, it seems to start at the point I release the key. that is why I said popping the key it starts?

Fixed! it was the control box. bought the complete system from Jeg's and this was faulty!! I will give them a chance to replace it! I had an extra from 1980 that worked very well!!:eusa_dance:

Thanks to all for your help.

Good to hear. What box. Tell us more.

Awesome. Glad it was something so simple.

Auto Transport Service
Back