• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starting my first project a 1969 Coronet 500

Dubjitsu

Local time
12:48 PM
Reaction score
Hi all! New to the hobby and even newer to the forum. I've owned a couple late model Challengers and a couple years ago started really getting into the older cars. Mostly 68-70 B Bodies. Last year I pulled the trigger on a 69 Coronet 500 318 manual car I found in Canada and paid $15,500 USD for it. The car was in great shape. Recently restored. Body in great shape, no rust, new interior, engine rebuilt a few years back, runs and drives really nice. Mostly a "survivor" with some OEM replacements.

My plan is to make a restomod/pro tourer out of her that's mainly for the streets but capable of the occasional trip to the strip or road race or really whatever I can find that she can do. Not dedicated to either and built for the street first and foremost, but something that won't be a slouch wherever we may roam. At the end of the day I want something fast, capable and sexy!!!

I'm doing this for a few reasons. 1) I want something truly unique and in my opinion these are the most beautiful cars in existence today. Modern cars just don't have the same appeal to me. 2) I want to learn. I've always had an interest in cars and can't do much right now outside of changing brake pads. I have a friend who knows his way around cars and he offered to help so I want to get my hands dirty and do as much work as I can. Really build something. Hopefully a lot of somethings from this point on. 3) I want to have something to bring to the car shows. We go to Carlisle every year along with a bunch of local (WNY area) shows and plan to go travel to more this year. I'd like to not only have something to add, but be able to enjoy other's cars more by actually knowing what I'm looking at.

My plan is to mechanically upgrade pretty much everything as well as give a little love to the appearance. I want it to truly be a 1 of 1 when I'm done. Not looking to clone an R/T or a Bee or put it back exactly as I found her. I plan to put some custom badging, striping, interior, wheels, etc to really make it mine. Here's what's been done so far as well as a list of my plans for the future and some pics. Please, if you have any help you can offer, I'm all ears! The guy I'm working with is not a Mopar guy. Mostly worked on Chevy's and Fords and I'm just reading as much as I can to prepare but we're gonna figure this thing out one way or another.

I'll update my costs as I go as well.

Done so far including costs (as of 4/10/18):
- Car purchase ($15,500 + 1300 tax = $16,800)
- Paint changed to white, scoop added to hood and body filled as needed ($3500)
- Hood scoop ($177)
- New trim for wheel wells ($250)

Total costs to date: $20,727

Plan to do this summer:
-NA 440 in the neighborhood of 600 horse with ability to add Nitrous later BUT FIRST...
-Upgrade Transmission (including flex plate and torque converter) (not sure how much the 727 Torqueflight can handle)
-upgrade U Joints and Driveshaft
- Put in 8 3/4 or Dana 60 rear end (not sure if I need to go to a Dana on this)
- Stiffen chassis with torque boxes and frame connectors (good? overkill? Not enough?)
- 4 wheel disc brakes
- front (coil overs? torsion bar? sway bar?) and back (xhd leaf springs?) suspension. Might lower it a bit.
- Switch steering to Borgeson or upgrade to rack and pinion?

Then motor and add...
- Exhaust/Headers
- AC
- Cruise control
...to my list.

Then over time:
- new gauges/dash
- new seats
- change the 3 eyed tail light (only OEM part I really don't like)
- spoiler? Not sure on this but possibly a small one like the modern Challengers have
- hood pins
- Custom badges
- Custom stripes
- I'm assuming something will need to be done with the electrical but haven't read up at all on that yet and not sure if that can wait
- power windows and locks
- Nitrous kit (if I really get into racing)

That's my list for now. I'm sure I forgot 100 things but that's what I'm working with so far. If there's anything I will need before the motor i haven't thought of please let me know! Or if anything's off here or you have opinions on any of this, again, I'm all ears and appreciate any help.

20170819_122930.jpg 20170829_153411.jpg 20170902_165420.jpg IMG953945.jpg 20170912_161353.jpg 20170912_161653.jpg 20171010_171148.jpg IMG_3926.jpg 20171023_141643.jpg 20171018_115137.jpg

Nice car.
Welcome
I like the taillights on 68&69 Coronets

Agreed, leave the rear panel alone. Distinctive to 500's and R/T's. 500 badging is sweet. Nice ride. Biased, but the 69 B Body is a beautiful Brute.

Nice car. I think the 500 trim and badges look pretty good on these cars. I like the rear tail panel, but maybe convert the center reflector into an actual third brake light (LED?)
There are many choices for suspension and brakes depending on what your looking for and budget.
The Strange S60 rear is sort of based off, and looks like the Dana 60. The S60 I put in my Charger did not seem to weight more than the 8-3/4" I took out of the car? You can specify the housing ends if you want to use a non-Mopar specific rear disk brake kit.
If you have the funds, the HellCrate (707 HP Hellcat crate engine) would be a cool swap ;)

Mannnnnn I was close on the Hellcrate but it defeated the purpose of me building something. The numbers the engine we're building should pull will be about 600 hp and 675 tq so it should be a fun ride. all in pre carb around 10k before machine work

Auto Transport Service
Back