• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starting to fit new full quarters on 1969 Plymouth couple questions

Alwayslookin1

Local time
3:29 AM
Reaction score
Thanks for the help in advance. Longtime lurker and I've gotten a ton of help from this board reading posts. Now I need some help and can't find the answer so-

I'm installing full quarters from AMD on my 1969 Satellite. So far it's a ton of work but it's starting to come together. While mocking up to start to fit panels I noticed that the curve of the original sail panel (dutchman) and the new quarter aren't the same. See 2 pics below:

IMG_2543resize.jpg

IMG_2544 resize.jpg

So should i take the new panel and cut a bunch of notches in the area to straighten the curve? I've tried to illustrate in the pic below (I would have to cut the notches close enough together to be able to straighten). Also pic is from the other side but I need to do both.

new quarter panel w arrows.jpg

Or should I just cut the flange off and match it to the original panel and then weld a modified piece back on?

And:

I was fitting the tail light extension and noted some large gaps. Should I be dollying the new panel to fit up to the extension or is there some other trick you guys know?

Thanks for your help.

IMG_2541resize.jpg

you gotta do what you gotta do....... replacement panel fit is always hit and miss....... cuts and slices are required more often than not

The repops don't fit worth a **** at the extensions. They likely don't match the curvature either. Do what ya gotta do.

I would search through the Roadrunner/Satellite restoration threads. I'm sure you'll find someone who ran into the same issues with the AMD quarters.
Good luck.

I swapped full quarters because I didn't want a lap joint or butt welded joint if I had done quarter skins. In hindsight I wish I had done skins instead !!

I have used a shrinker-stretcher on flanges like that with good results. You will need two people for big panels, but they can save a lot of welding in certain cases.

Auto Transport Service
Back