• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

steel crank: 440 6 pack vs. std steel crank

64plybelvwgn

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:36 AM
Reaction score
I'm of the understanding that the 440-6pak used a steel crank, but due to the weight of the rods it had to be externally balanced

Does this mean something special has to done to the 440 steel crank I have to make it adaptable to use the 6 pak rods, or is this crank totally unusable for this application, therefore I have to find a steel , 6pak only crank.

( Yes, I am aware I could use LY rods and be OK, however I want to use the 6 pack rods.)

Any experience and guidance would be truly appreciated.

Thank you.

I used 6 pack rods in mine on a std steel crank. I polished and shot peened the beams. I don't remember what the final weight of the rods was, but I was able to balance it internally.

Different harmonic balancer on a six pack 70 and up.

The rods and Pins are extra heavy, you can internally balnce with Mallory weight. make sure you give them pistons, rings the balancer and flywheel as well and index the pieces in the same orientation. it would be easier and better if you just used new rods. To each his own.

The 70 and up 6pack engines used a different balancer from the factory. To answer your original question: you can use the 6pack rods with the crank you have as long as you get the rotating assembly balanced. As was said above, whoever does the balancing will need the balancer, flywheel, rods, pistons and rings.

IMHO any balance shop worth going to can balance that rotating assembly and make up for the difference in rod weight.

I don' think there is any difference between the regular 440 crank and the 6 BBL crank. The extra weight of the rods was offset by external balancing.

The 6 pack crank had a different part number than a reg. 440 but I don't know what was different about it.

Thank you, everyone for your responses. Very much appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks very much.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks very much.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks very much.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks very much.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks very much.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks very much.

i am using a six pack crank with H beam rods and have had zero problem with balance. i am using a nuetral bal fluid damper and 440 source flexplate and the converter is a mopar "J" nuetral bal. imho i would put the money into a good set of H beam rods. they are lighter/ stronger than the six pack rods. it would be money well spent. plus they will be full floating with cap bolts vs press fit and rod bolts, darn near bulletproof bottom end. best of luck with your project. happy moparing!

Auto Transport Service
Back