Steer and Gear Modern "feel" PS box; Go with a quick ratio pitman/idler?

Brakes, Steering & Suspension

1. General23cmp

General23cmp Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    7:44 AM
    I am planning to have my leaky power steering box rebuilt by Steer and Gear with their "Modern" feel option. I was considering also going with the quick ratio pitman and idler setup than many vendors offer. What are your thoughts on this setup for a cruiser (1969 Satellite convertible)? I need to rebuild my steering linkages, etc. anyway to get the most out of everything, so I was considering the ratio swap with the pitman/idler while I'm at it.

Car is currently a bone stock 318 car with an auto trans, so I don't expect clearance problems (right?) with the longer pitman/idler. If I ever upgrade the engine, I may go with a modern EFI hemi rather than a 440, for example, but am happy with it right now the way it is. I know the larger engines with headers can have clearance issues.

2. JimKueneman

JimKueneman FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
    5:44 AM
    My 2 cents, replace all the front end wear parts (tie rods/ball joints/upper and lower bushings) and do the modern feel (I did stage III in Firm Feel lingo) for my 318 Coronet. It is all the handling and steering feel improvements I needed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
      By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.