• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

steering box rebuild

glhx

Local time
12:31 AM
Reaction score
does anyone know where i can find a tutorial on how to rebuild a steering box. i cant get the two large castle shaped bolts out. where can i get the special tool

I have the service manual for my 68 on cd for my computer, I will look to see if there is any answers in there.

Just looked. There is a really good tutorial, on this cd. You can get them on ebay for about 25 bucks. I highly recomend it. I am trying to figure out how to pull the steering pages for you. I thought I might be able to post them on here as attachments. I am no computer guru. I will keep trying.

what kind of car is it by the way? I dont see what you are refering to as two large castle nuts.

yeah i got them off but i would still like a tutorial. i am working on a 69 dart. I will look for that cd online.

the castle nuts are the large rings that hold the guts of the steering box in place. They look like the top of an old castle. I did buy that cd but its not here yet. My rebuild kit came with extra o rings and not enough o rings. THe extras i dont need , but there seems to be one missing. I dont remember how big it was and i cant find it. I know i dont have one that fits in the location where its missing if that makes any sense. I have not seen any write up anywhere on this and no one seems to do this. Its like they just buy a firm feel or a used one from another car. I can see why....it looks complicated once your inside it

How did you get those castle nuts off?!?!!?!?

I am tearing down the steering box on my '67 Coronet and have tried several things and can't get them to budge!!!

Please say you didn't have to buy the special Chrysler tools...

Thanks,

Cam

a 3lbs hammer tapping a chisel into the grooves worked on mine.

You're lucky! I would have made junk out of mine if I kept going. Due to the amount of stuff I have going on I just sent mine to Firm Feel. I'd also like to know if a kit is available.

the o-ring rebuild kits are available from local parts store for around $60 i was just curious what others were using

Auto Transport Service
Back