• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering box to K-frame stripped nuts

Had to do a steering box change to satisfy the Chrysler dealer inspection mechanic on a back lot 1970 Challenger RT with a New Yorker 440 transplant.
Took it back and it still failed, returning to my garage a buddy noticed drivers side wheel moving back and forth as I pulled in. Lower control arm bushing completely gone. The joys of hammer mechanics working on your ride.

Anybody on here admit to pulling the threads for the steering box mounts? You know, the welded on nuts, one being inaccessible. And if so, what is the best way to repair? Got only myself to blame for this one.....
One thing comes to mind here after seeing the picture of the K-Frame......was it "powder coated" ? If so, ALL the threaded holes should have a thread chaser run thru them or tap to clean the coating that gets into everything that you don't want it too and will Freeze Up any bolts passing thru it.

One thing comes to mind here after seeing the picture of the K-Frame......was it "powder coated" ? If so, ALL the threaded holes should have a thread chaser run thru them or tap to clean the coating that gets into everything that you don't want it too and will Freeze Up any bolts passing thru it.

Retain a true professional who's also a gearhead and you won't have to waste your own time deburring, cleaning up nasty welds or tapping anything. Take it out of the box, drool a little and go install it. This one was for a Magnum that won at SEMA.

FB_IMG_1656521808953.jpg
FB_IMG_1656521948912.jpg
FB_IMG_1656521832741.jpg
FB_IMG_1656521912704.jpg

I even offer a labor discount for FBBO Members, Military and Law Enforcement.

Retain a true professional who's also a gearhead and you won't have to waste your own time deburring, cleaning up nasty welds or tapping anything. Take it out of the box, drool a little and go install it. This one was for a Magnum that won at SEMA.

View attachment 1306006View attachment 1306007View attachment 1306008View attachment 1306009

I even offer a labor discount for FBBO Members, Military and Law Enforcement.
You're the man!!! Wait.....you're the woman!!! Dang good looking stuff you do.

Not powder coated, I live to far away from Leanna for that, lol.
I welded in the Firm Feel stiffening kit, sand blasted it, epoxy primer, and final coat of 25% gloss black. And yes, I always chase the threads on everything. This problem was totally on me.

Got the repair made and it is rock solid now. I went 80 pounds of torque with a dab of blue loctite. I forgot to take pics of everything, but you can get the idea. 2 grade 8 nuts welded together and solidly welded to the frame for each bolt. I did grind down the welds and repaint the area that was cut out. Can't even tell it was messed with now. Got these 3 steering box bolts from Jeff at 521 Restorations. I think they are correct for 1971 and newer, but they sure are a nice beefy USA made part. Lesson learned.....

20220619_190921.jpg

20220621_192625.jpg

20220621_193603.jpg

20220621_195130.jpg

20220621_203115.jpg

20220627_182956.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back