• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering box to rack pinion

iraqivet01

Local time
10:56 AM
Reaction score
I was wondering what modification has to done to convert from box to Rack pinion?
Does anyone out there make a kit without replacing the whole suspenion.

I don't know that there is enough room for a rack without moving it to the front of the K. You do that, you'll have to change a bunch of stuff

I don't know that there is enough room for a rack without moving it to the front of the K. You do that, you'll have to change a bunch of stuff

I agree and to do it right so that every thing work correctly and is engineered right ,you should change the K member and all the suspension .

There is a bolt-on kit I saw this month in mopar muscle. I think its called unisteer.com Summit and jegs are sellin them or others. Around $1000. Good luck

I have checked out the Unisteer rack and pinion setup on line and talked to their tech line. It is pretty much a bolt-in - one bracket bolts in place of the old steering box holes, the other to the idler arm hole. The tie rod ends fit right in the factory holes. The factory column joint is replaced with a universal joint. The kit comes with all mounting hardware including a pump, bracket, and hoses, for $1,400. You can buy just the rack for about a grand and use a factory pump, but a pressure reducer is needed that you can buy that at quite a few vendors. They did caution me that it will fit with TTI headers but no guarantee with other headers. Factory exhaust clears fine. I'm thinking of converting my manual steering arm-breaker setup for one of these using the factory pump so you have to look twice to see that it has a rack.

Auto Transport Service
Back