• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering Box

Suave25

Local time
1:10 PM
Reaction score
Hi Mopar gang,

Just wanted to know if anyone has some insights on changing out my original steering box on 1968 Dodge Charger (Standard model). It already has power steering, however I was looking at purchasing the Borgeson Steering box. But don't know how my setup should be.

Do I purchase only the box or do I need to buy anything else. Please let me know if you have ever done this or any ideas.

Thank you

I've read two magazine articles now about the Bergman Auto Craft kit. It uses borgenson and other components to consist of a somewhat plug and play install.
Perhaps email Bergman and see what is offered.

I've read two magazine articles now about the Bergman Auto Craft kit. It uses borgenson and other components to consist of a somewhat plug and play install.
Perhaps email Bergman and see what is offered.
Thanks man,

The only information I got is the following.
Saginaw (type pump)
800126 Steering Box
925113 Hose Kit
036425 U Joint

Federal (type pump)

925121 Adapters (16 mm hose to build)
036425 U Joint

I just need to know what type of pump is in my 68.

I would suggest Steer and Gear you can order the firm feel level you want.
I've had one in my Charger for 15+ years.
Also get a new power steering hose if your's is original, if it blows it's a fire hazard.

I would suggest Steer and Gear you can order the firm feel level you want.
I've had one in my Charger for 15+ years.
Also get a new power steering hose if your's is original, if it blows it's a fire hazard.

Upgrade your original steering box. Firm Feel and Steer & Gear do good work. No additional parts needed unless there is wear.

I had a steer and gear unit in my 71 Cuda and it was much better than what I had. I then converted to the borgeson unit and it is head and shoulders above the old unit. The stock P/S units were designed a long time ago, probably 60 years ago, where as the borgeson is new technology. I know it is an expensive set up but to me has been proven to me a worthwhile investment especially if your ride is street driven. By the way I did the conversion 6 years ago and still is much tighter than old box.

installed Borgenson on my Bee this year and very happy with it. Would do it again.

To add to the post I have a 74 Duster with the original box and I found it a battle to keep it straight so I ordered another Borgeson for the Duster. I did the steer and gear probably about 20 years ago with the Police firmness and it was still a lot better than my stock unit. I know they have a firmer feel now, but the Borgy box is so much lighter and smaller.

Auto Transport Service
Back