• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering box

diemaker

Local time
9:17 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys I have a 68 roadrunner I’m installing a hemi in with Schumacher mounts
and TTI step headers. My steering box will not clear one of the header tubes. I shimmed it forward a 1/4” and still touches I also tried a Borgs steering box and that was worse. Has any one had experience with this

i have seen some guys 1/4 plate under the k member.

My TTIs would not clear the main cap cross bolt heads, so taking TTIs advise, I dented several to get the clearance I needed. Now, mind you these were ceramic coated, but they said to use a silver header paint to touch them up. I did. I pushed the dents in with a large arbor press my buddy owns and it worked pretty well. I did use some half round shapes to make the dents and it kept the ceramic damage to a minimum. I never thought ceramic coating would bend but, it does.
Mike

My TTIs would not clear the main cap cross bolt heads, so taking TTIs advise, I dented several to get the clearance I needed. Now, mind you these were ceramic coated, but they said to use a silver header paint to touch them up. I did. I pushed the dents in with a large arbor press my buddy owns and it worked pretty well. I did use some half round shapes to make the dents and it kept the ceramic damage to a minimum. I never thought ceramic coating would bend but, it does.
Mike

I’m assuming I need to do the same that’s ridiculous considering TTI guarantees them to fit in the price you pay for them of course mine are ceramic coated and polished. I will call them Monday just to confirm nothing has changed thank you

I just can't wrap my head around it. I was beating on headers with a hammer in 1977! Nothing seems to have changed...

yes that’s what i tried still not enough
you moved the box forward but did you put 1/4 shims between the the frame and k member. i have seen this done with the hemi in the 68 dart and 69 gtx both hemi cars and manual steer boxes. one was a auto other was a 4 speed. on your perches are they long gated to move up or down. but i would be all over tti about this before i bent them up. just a couple of cents worth good luck

you moved the box forward but did you put 1/4 shims between the the frame and k member. i have seen this done with the hemi in the 68 dart and 69 gtx both hemi cars and manual steer boxes. one was a auto other was a 4 speed. on your perches are they long gated to move up or down. but i would be all over tti about this before i bent them up. just a couple of cents worth good luck

I are taking about shiming down the kframe? And yes I’m going to call them on Monday less then impressed with this

I are taking about shiming down the kframe? And yes I’m going to call them on Monday less then impressed with this
yes like i said i have seen it on a couple of mopars shim the k frame. good luck

I have a hemi borg box tin man motor mounts no issues
6617CBC1-E372-4648-8283-80946A0F7047.jpeg

well I spoke to TTi and they have made a change in the header since I bought mine in 2018. They told me to try shimming the drivers side motor mount 1/4" if that is no good then bend the header or buy a new drivers side one.
I'm just shocked coming from the company that says they will fit

Auto Transport Service
Back