• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering Column 1970 Sport Satellite Set-Up

Moparfiend

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:34 PM
Reaction score
Hi, there are plastic spacers on the mounting assembly of the column bracket to the upper support. These were in bad shape. What are the spacers for? Getting into the last gear setting (1) is a bit off and I want to improve this and wonder if there is a geometry issue or possible damage tot he column. Has anyone set up their steering column that can add any advice?

upload_2017-11-10_20-10-12.png

I think those just give you an "adjustment sliding area" but do lower column about 1/4"....what the heck, buy new ones regardless, they're lime $2 each. That "might" affect getting into "low 1" on a column shift. I "think" there's a tube-thing (shift collar?) in the engine compartment where the column pokes through that has an arm on it that rotates as you change gears and a bushing in the end of that arm that cojld wear. I'm guessing a little, but I have something like that on my floor shift column for the "shifter interlock anti-theft" mechanism. I may have skme column parts for you too if needed.

I think those just give you an "adjustment sliding area" but do lower column about 1/4"....what the heck, buy new ones regardless, they're lime $2 each. That "might" affect getting into "low 1" on a column shift. I "think" there's a tube-thing (shift collar?) in the engine compartment where the column pokes through that has an arm on it that rotates as you change gears and a bushing in the end of that arm that cojld wear. I'm guessing a little, but I have something like that on my floor shift column for the "shifter interlock anti-theft" mechanism. I may have skme column parts for you too if needed.
Thanks Purple for responding! I am learning a lot as I dig into this car project. I just learned that these are break away mounts and are actually designed to help the column collapse in the event of an accident. So they not only shim as you stated by ~1/4 but are designed to break loose! I am taking out the washers and replacing with the correct parts. I will look into the engine compartment side more and see if I can figure out the collar thing you were talking about. I also am replacing the Z-Bar bushings and will clean and lube the linkages........

Here is something some people learn the hard way: (Myself included)
On the transmission, there is a lever on both the shift selector and the kickdown/throttle valve mechanism. BOTH were available in a variety of shapes and lengths. Sometimes when one is lost, the person forgets the shape or length and just uses whatever one they can find. THIS can be problematic. They must be a matched set.
Lets say your original one was 3 inches long. What if the one on there now is 4 inches long? Doesn't sound like much but now the linkage rods, even if they fit, do not move that lever far enough to engage all gear detents. A shorter lever may engage PRND21 with the linkage rod only moving 1 1/2 inches. A 4 inch lever may need 2 1/2" to engage all detents.

Thanks Kern Dog, yes I have been watching those Old factory “film strips” on the Torqflt transmissions ‘beep’ while they remind me of my high school machine shop instructor at GBN HS they are extremely helpful! They drive your point home regarding the criticality of the geometry of the linkages including the kickdown. Not sure I fully understand it all but at least I can go back and rewatch a few times when I do the procedure... ‘beep’

Hi, there are plastic spacers on the mounting assembly of the column bracket to the upper support. These were in bad shape. What are the spacers for? Getting into the last gear setting (1) is a bit off and I want to improve this and wonder if there is a geometry issue or possible damage tot he column. Has anyone set up their steering column that can add any advice?

View attachment 537978
the plastic spacers are a safety feature that allows the column to slide down if your chest hits it in a crash

the plastic spacers are a safety feature that allows the column to slide down if your chest hits it in a crash
Yup but interestingly enough they are not included in the exploded view above! Nor is there ANY indication of this in the verbage WTF?

Auto Transport Service
Back