• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering Column and PS Gear

JimKueneman

Local time
9:34 PM
Reaction score
Should the coupler on the column go in any position to the steering gear? I am having a heck of a time getting mine back in. I have wiggled, jiggled and rubber mallet'ed the coupler but I have only got it to go on about as far as the grove for the roll pin. It did not come off this hard....

I have read from some guys that claim to have ZERO troubles doing this. I wonder what the heck they are doing right because MOST times I install them, I cuss and bitch.
There is a master spline, essentially a notch removed in the steering box input shaft. It can be hard to see. A helper in the car to PUSH at just the right time helps, it is also a good idea to smear a dab of axle grease on the steering box shaft. Dry intercourse is bad for anyone.

I know it's after the fact, but I always mark a spot on the coupler/spline with a paint marker before disassembling. Then just line the two up and Viola.
I also put a dab of anti-sieze on the spline before reassembling.

So would it have started on the shaft at all if it was misaligned from the key spline?

Before I get a bit more aggressive there is no way this could go on this far and not be misaligned correct? It seems like it slid on more by itself since yesterday...

DSC_0125.jpg

It's not down far enough.

Did you knock out the pin?

Be man about it. Once it's started you are home free. Don't beat the seal and disturb the 4 tabs so they won't hold while you are struggling with it if you use a dead blow on it. Best bet is to get a helper and make sure the column is not bolted in whatsoever.

Be man about it. Once it's started you are home free. Don't beat the seal and disturb the 4 tabs so they won't hold while you are struggling with it if you use a dead blow on it. Best bet is to get a helper and make sure the column is not bolted in whatsoever.

But it feels like I am beating one of my kids now......

Last edited:
Finally got back to this and have it installed. I inserted a punch in the hole in the column collar so I could jiggle the coupler while I hit it with a rubber hammer with the other hand. It finally got squared up and went on all the way.

Auto Transport Service
Back