• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering Column/Coupler removal

Propwash

Local time
6:53 AM
Reaction score
Hello Gent's...Need some input.

Don't have a pic to post at the moment, but i'm wanting to know how to remove the steering column from the steering coupler on a 69' Roadrunner. Honestly never had to rip one apart before...All the bolts are out at the firewall and the column is dropped. I see there is a roll pin at the bottom of the coupler, is that to free the coupler from the steering box or free the column shaft from the coupler, or both? Does the column shaft need to be drove out by some sort of puller/tool?

Thanks for the help guys

The roll pin holds the coupler(Rag joint) to the shaft on one end and the steering box on the other. I have a 68 coronet and it is probably similiar. There is a hex screw on the end of the coupler with nut on it to hold the coupler to the steering box...I would remove that and then you can pull the column out. I just did this on mine last week. Also remove any electrical connections inside the car first. If you are rebuilding the coupler(Rag joint) you can get a rebuild kit from Steer and Geer out of Columbus, Ohio. Also mine was a manual steering box.

You guys beat me to it, hit the roll pin out and it comes apart and you can pull the steering column out, just did it a few weeks ago.

just make sure you have the index lined-up on the splines when you re-install it.

Auto Transport Service
Back