• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering Column Electrical Connectors

Gold Rush

Local time
9:12 PM
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a source for the 8 pin connector (male and female) used to feed to and from my '74 ignition switch? A couple of the pins got really hot sometime before I bought the car. I've cleaned and reshaped them but still don't trust them.

Thanks in Advance

Does anyone know of a source for the 8 pin connector (male and female) used to feed to and from my '74 ignition switch? A couple of the pins got really hot sometime before I bought the car. I've cleaned and reshaped them but still don't trust them.

Thanks in Advance

DynoDave answered as well on the other forum and Evans is a good contact.
I believe that is 2983403 or 404 depending on which side you need or both. No doubt they are NS1 from Chrysler. Best bet would be aftermarket.
Search electrical connectors or Chrysler calls them insulators.
I know I have seen them at Carlisle.
On the other hand no one says you cant use a similar Molex connector or connectors. No one will ever see it.

Read more: http://wichargerguy.proboards.com/t...mn-electrical-connectors?page=1#ixzz5Yv41D7V5

The original Molex style connectors used in that application can’t handle the real world current load on some of the ignition switch wires. They will burn again should you locate originals. While I try to use original style connectors where ever possible, I use Anderson Powerploe connectors for the ignition switch disconnect.
Later factory replacement switches came with extended black and red leads, Packard style connectors, and instructions to by-pass the Molex connectors altogether for those high current leads.
Ign switch instructions.jpg

Last edited:
Thank You all for the reply. I had though about bypassing the two wires. Might be an option. I'd still like to have the originals because the connector is pretty well trashed.

This mod alone reduced the measured voltage drop between the battery positive and the alternator field ignition 1 feed connector, when running, by a full volt. The Molex connector it replaced was in pretty good shape by appearance, slight discolor near the red wire connector, but ran very warm to the touch and clearly had built up some serious resistance. These AP connectors are rated at 45 amps each.
20181208_130458r.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back