• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering Column Help 68 B Body

dodge68charger

Local time
8:02 AM
Reaction score
Hey Guys im about to put my steering column in my 68 charger and was looking for a few pointers. I looked in the service manual and saw a 13/16" measurement from the Top of the housing to the roll pin hole on the bottom of the shaft. Is this correct?

Do the Spindles neede to be on the car and pointing straight and does anyone have a pic of the roll pin installed on the bottom of the steering shaft.

Any other tips would be helpful. Thank you

When I put mine in I just turned the gear box from left to right (stop to stop) and counted the revolutions, divided it and put it in the center of its range then put the column in with the steering wheel orientated correctly. That's just how I did mine.

When I put mine in I just turned the gear box from left to right (stop to stop) and counted the revolutions, divided it and put it in the center of its range then put the column in with the steering wheel orientated correctly. That's just how I did mine.
That's how it's done, you will need the spindles pointing straight to center the linkage and gearbox with each other.

and the 13/16" measurement you mentioned is irrelevant.

image.jpeg
I Noticed There is a Small dowel pin in the Steering wheel coupler kits i googled pics of. Where does this Pin go. Thanks

View attachment 352534 I Noticed There is a Small dowel pin in the Steering wheel coupler kits i googled pics of. Where does this Pin go. Thanks
That small pin goes in the housing once the assembly is put together. There is a small hole near the end of the housing. If it is still in there, you will have to punch it out to install the new one. It is designed to keep the the assembly from being able to come out of the housing.

Auto Transport Service
Back