• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering column question

challenger_73

Local time
11:55 PM
Reaction score
I have a question regarding a 1970 Dodge Coronet Super Bee steering column. Is there a difference between a power steering column shift steering column and a power steering four speed steering column?

Do you mean a column shift automatic or three speed compared to a 4 speed column? I believe a 4 speed column and a column for a floor shift automatic are the same. Obviously a column shift automatic or a three speed column shift would have the shifter assembly attached to the steering column. I'm pretty sure that that part of the column can be swapped out. If you're asking if the length and the way they connect to the gear box are the same, I think they are as long as they are for power steering.

Hope that makes sense.

also, the collar on the column (plastic part housing the lever for blinker arm) differs from column shift vs console shift vs 4 speed. the reverse wiring(2 purple wires) is located at the interior base of the column on column shift cars.

I have a '70 4 spd b-body that I converted from manual to power steering using a column shift automatic column. Here's a few items I found out that may help you.
1. The main center shaft of the column is collapsible (plastic shear pins) and comes in 2 lengths. Manual steering is longer than power steering.
2. '70 columns are one-year-only
3. There are only a few pieces unique to each type of shifter. As mentioned above, the lower collar is the biggest difference & reproductions are now available from Tony's Parts

Auto Transport Service
Back