• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

steering column?

69charger

Local time
6:00 PM
Reaction score
what would I have to do to convert a steering column from a 3 on the tree column to a floor shifted one?

You of course need a floor mounted shifter and to do it right you need to replace the steering column with a "no shift" column from either an original floor shift auto or manual shift car.

If your car is a power steering car I have a column that I will sell you that will work if it is your user name car.

Can I get some pics of the one your selling?
and a price?

But I couldnt just remove the shifter and linkages from the one I have now and just cover up where the shifter was on the column?

You could try to cover it up.. But it will always be visible and look like crap.

just my opinion. But that's why I'm changing the column in my Duster

Can I get some pics of the one your selling?
and a price?

But I couldnt just remove the shifter and linkages from the one I have now and just cover up where the shifter was on the column?

Send me your email address.

The only way I know how to disguise it would be to use the no shift collar from a no shift column, but who is going to sell you just THAT piece from one of those columns? Besides, it is easier and quicker to just change the whole column, it is not that hard.

[email protected]

I've changed several columns from auto to floor shift by grinding off the attachment point and the selector piece and used epoxy to fill them in.Doesn't take much time at all and will not be visiable if you take your time,not much different then doing body work.

I've changed several columns from auto to floor shift by grinding off the attachment point and the selector piece and used epoxy to fill them in.Doesn't take much time at all and will not be visiable if you take your time,not much different then doing body work.

hmmmm...can you post a picture of a column you've done this work to?

here are a couple I took The one is the piece I removed from the top which had the PRNDL I don't have the other to which the lever was connected to.I took a cut off tool and removed them ground them down and put a piece behind the hole to keep the epoxy from running out and filled. the gear pointer was a little harder and needed a piece to fill in about a 1/4 x3 area.I made it from a piece of 1/8 scrap and also epoxied it in place.The column parts I think are pot metal and epoxy sticks very well. The first one I did was over 20 years ago and looks as good today as it did then. sanded with a d a and refilled as needed.primed, sanded and painted . Sounds harder then it is. I'd be glad to do it for you but I have no doubt you can do it as well as me.

S4010069.jpg

S4010072.jpg

S4010074.jpg

Its really not that hard to do but thanks anyway funny story I bought a tilt column for a 67 Chevelle which are hard to find and it was a auto column. I couldn't figure out how to take it apart to do the work and didn't want to ruin anythink so I went to a junkyard and bought one out of a Pontiac for 10 bucks and used it to figure out how to disassemble them,not hard to do either if you know how. Quite ingenous how they work,reminds me of a rubeks cube inside

Auto Transport Service
Back