• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

steering column

ord27

Local time
9:18 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys
1970 Dodge Coronet column shift car. I need to remove the power steering box and steering column.
Any advice about disconnecting the column from the box? Manual mentions a special tool....ugh

beerestoration2018 1775.JPG

so, dadsbee, put the punch there on top? or it needs to be punched from the bottom?

Pin will go out in either direction. Make sure your punch is the correct size and not too small (jamming inside) or too big interfering with the coupling.

why are you removing the ps gear box?

It's got an extreme leak, so I am having it rebuilt. The column is not the correct column. It has major wiring issues. I am replacing that too

:thumbsup: looks clean ,that sucks it has a leak.

the pic is dadsbee's, mine is nowhere near that clean

It's got an extreme leak, so I am having it rebuilt. The column is not the correct column. It has major wiring issues. I am replacing that too
not sure how far along you are partwise,
but i have a mint b5 blue steering column out of a 70 coronet thats been sitting in storage.
column shifter,great wiring,and keys.

oh dang. I wound up having one made
thanks

I put a punch through the spot on the coupler. I did't have anything in it. I haven't tried to pull the column yet, that's tomorrow's mission. Is the pin hollow? Or could I just not have a pin
Thanks

steering.jpg steering 2.jpg

As shown in my picture and described... it is a split pin. I can see the pin sticking out of your coupler. Why I said don't use a punch too big.. or too small. You need the correct size to be just smaller than the OD of the pin.

used a 5/16. I got the pin out, now the punch is stuck. I can rotate it but can't pull it out. I'm going to come up from the bottom with a small punch and knock it out

thanks for the help!

Knock the split pin out with a punch... slide the coupler back. Done.
Uhhh...."Slide the coupler back".... yeah, right...
I've pulled several A and B body steering columns and I've only had a few actually slide off easily. Many take a pickle fork or a hammer.
Good luck with it.

having a tough time pulling the pitman arm. I've tried heat.
weight off the wheels? Have to disconnect tie rod linkage?

Auto Transport Service
Back