• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

steering coupler cover install

ZR9B

Local time
4:31 AM
Reaction score
any tips or tricks on installing the sheet metal cover? the last one I did was not a tight fit. thanks for any input.

If out of the car a couple small c clamps on each side then bend the tabs over with a small chisel.

not out of the car....and headers in the way.

It will take less time to pull the column then trying and get it together good when it's buried by headers.

Seems like I remember seeing where someone is making a tool for this purpose. But I don't remember who or where I read it... sorry

Peter Bergman sells a rubber boot to fit over the coupler. I used it on my 71 Cuda with the Borgenson box. A lot easier than the Chrysler way and cleaner. He's a vendor, I know he is on the A bodies Forum. Probably here also.

Yep

IMG_1958.jpg

I've never had a problem getting the cover to snap on & stay on... I don't try to bend the tabs with the cover held tight to the coupler body... Instead I pull the retainer away from the coupler, bend all eight tabs so they hook slightly into the body & then snap the cover onto the coupler body... Usually I have to use a small screwdriver to pry a few of the tabs over the coupler body... Try it, you might like it...

I used zip ties to hold it ....I should be able to tap them down. I kinda like the bending the tabs first then "slipping" it over and keep it kinda tight idea...

coupler.jpg

FWIW, YMMV.
How I do it if it makes sense to ya'. Tedious and even more difficult with less space, but I've had decent results with this learning from multiple failures on my old 77 Ramcharger steering.

1663765613951.png

On my '69 I used the original cover as it has the original crimp contour on the tab ends ....

1663766650464.png

Do yourself a favor and spend the $10 on the safety clip from Detroit Muscle. 30 second install, very positive engagement and your done with it. Fooling with those clips, especially in tight quarters can be a real PITA. Ask me how I know.

Peter Bergman sells a rubber boot to fit over the coupler. I used it on my 71 Cuda with the Borgenson box. A lot easier than the Chrysler way and cleaner. He's a vendor, I know he is on the A bodies Forum. Probably here also.
Those will crack and leak over time. Don't ask me how I know.

For what its worth...after packing the joint with good grease I pre bent the tabs then used 2 zips tie crisscrossed to pull it into place then cut the zip ties off. Its not going anywhere in my life.

Auto Transport Service
Back