• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

steering coupler removal

laylowllama

Local time
5:57 AM
Reaction score
I have done searches but can not find what i need. 72 charger w/power steering. I am 99% sure the pin is removed as there is nothing in the hole so i think i am good there. i took the top off the joint and saw nothing to remove in there other than a nipple on the inside of the box ment to keep one of the shims in. Now how the hell do i get this thing off, I know there is some simple step i am missing but if have tried to pry it off and pull it off the shaft of the gear box.

The pin you must remove is a hollow roll pin. Just because you can see through the hole doesn't mean it's not there. If you haven't removed the pin, try again.

that sounds right, any tips on how to get that out i had a flat head screw driver i took to it a little while ago but it did not budge.

I use a long pin punch the same diameter as the roll pin. Sometimes I've had better luck driving it out from under the car

I used a screw driver and a hammer but the punch is a better idea. ;)

I ended up getting it out thanks to you guys for the help, History's idea of another roll pin was good but I screwed that up and managed to get the roll pin stuck inside of the original roll pin oh well. I ended up using a large long nail and tapped it out, much like a punch but i had to improvise, this way was very easy as the roll pin was not long enough to allow me room not to hit my fingers with that fat hammer.

Sorry if I led you to believe that you could remove the roll pin by using another roll pin. What I was trying to explain is that I remove the roll pin by using a long punch about the same size of a roll pin. Once you drive the pin out, you can pull out the punch. I've had good luck driving them out from both the top and the bottom.

Auto Transport Service
Back