• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

steering couplers

daredevil

Local time
5:45 PM
Reaction score
Can someone enlighten me on the subject of steering couplings? what does dd mean and if you know what coupler do i need to convert my 66 with power steering collum to a manual box since the manual box is shorter? thanks for looking and any answers

The steering column shafts are different lengths for power and manual steering. BUT....if you don't want to change the column there is an adapter that is available that will "stretch" your column. I know there is one that just connects the rag to the box, but in my opinion they look pretty halfassed. I'm sure there are others on the market, but personally I'd rather swap the column/shaft and have it look correct.

Flaming River sells a kit that removes the rag joint and extends the column shaft. They replace the rag joint with a universal. Works pretty well, but you do have to drill a hole in your steering shaft to install it.

Others like MP or Mancini's sells a adapter that goes on the manual box and then the connects to the power column's rag joint. If you ever plan on switching back to power steering, this is the route to go (no drilling of your steering shaft or removing the rag joint is required). Just me, I'd get the Mancini one, they appear to be much stronger and heftier than the MP ones. .

Here's a pic of the Flaming River setup.. I went with it cause I couldn't find a manual column for a 67, and saw a MP adapter at a cruise night with this lovely crack where it went over the steering box shaft.

friver.jpg

What spline is a 66 manual box? Someone on fabo explained that d describes the shape of the shaft

Someone on fabo explained that d describes the shape of the shaft

I believe that is correct.
A D is flat on one side.
A DD is also flat on one side but the other side is really really big.:giggle:

Actually a DD, if you look at it from the end, it looks like 2 capital D's back to back. = 2 flats, and 2 rounds.

Auto Transport Service
Back