• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering disaster leaks

Eric F

Local time
2:31 PM
Reaction score
I got my Road Runner manual to power steering conversion finished. Now it’s a leaking disaster. The gear box is leaking between the gear and valve body.i removed the valve body and found a cut oring. I replaced the oring with something I had in a box. Still leaking after replacing.
I was looking online for a replacement box as I really have no idea about the gear box as it came with the car.
I was looking on line at my options of a difference steering box, Bergman, Borgenson, Firm Feel‘ steerngear then I stumbled across a company called Lares. They make a new box that is Firm feel 2.5 turns lock to lock. Has anyone heard of or used them. Thanks.

Pick your poison there are many re-builders and suppliers. You should just get the right seals and see what it does. Watch the leak closely. Wipe and watch. Sometimes it is not where you think.

I've not used the Lares on a Mopar, but have on a Pontiac. The first one leaked terribly. I will say Speedway Motors customer service took care of me and I got a replacement. So far so good. I have the upgraded version for GM also.

Look closely at the Lares for Mopar. if I remember right it might be a different casting than original.

Auto Transport Service
Back