• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STEERING GEAR BOX NIGHTMARE

Nyfinest

Local time
2:42 AM
Reaction score
Hello fellow My fellow MOPAR family, just wanted to see what advice I can get from you guys..... I decided to take my original box and send it out to FIRMFEEL out west and 800 bucks later ( not counting my mechanics labor) the box is crappier than ever. Worst part is that FIRMFEEL can only re look at the box but whatever it would need to correct it will be at my expense contingent that it was “ok” when they shipped it to me.

Now I’m stuck between just putting a cardone reman box and hoping it’s descent enough to drive the car, after all the cardone box is cheaper than paying for shipping back and forth to FIRMFEEL. Just feeling disappointed and left out to hang dry

That would piss me off. What's wrong with it? Loose, excessive play?

That would piss me off. What's wrong with it? Loose, excessive play?
After installation of the box, it had a mind of its own! Turned the wheel to the left so fast and so hard it almost broke my mechanics hand. Even after adjusting it it feels like no power steering at all, and feels like it’s gonna turn left or right if I don’t have a death grip on the wheel

How did you wind up with an $800 steering box? Firm Feel/Steer n Gear are basically one step above a jobber rebuild. I had a “Level 2” box from SNG years ago and other than the fast ratio stops it wasn’t any better than the core that I shipped back. I just bought a Lares rebuild, haven’t gotten it bolted into the car yet.

What’s wrong with the box? There is a slop adjustment.

How did you wind up with an $800 steering box? Firm Feel/Steer n Gear are basically one step above a jobber rebuild. I had a “Level 2” box from SNG years ago and other than the fast ratio stops it wasn’t any better than the core that I shipped back. I just bought a Lares rebuild, haven’t gotten it bolted into the car yet.

What’s wrong with the box? There is a slop adjustment.
Apparently when they received my box , it needed other parts and also since I needed expedited that was additional so yeah with all that included it was a lil more than 800. Just feel there is no humanity from the company

How is your rag joint? 73 was a one-year only deal. Typically shot after nearly 50 years. Will feel like you are steering a boat.

How did the car drive before this box rebuild? Why did you take it out?

Is this your mechanic?

87BA977F-9515-4A07-B14B-DEC015040D55.jpeg

What exactly feels horrible and how does it feel unsafe? Describe
The wheel turns both ways by itself slowly after letting it go, no power steering while in park, after making right or left turn the wheels does not return smoothly I have to feed it back. Also put a new borgeson pump so I’m lost

How did the car drive before this box rebuild? Why did you take it out?
I honestly have to admit, I wish I had not touched it, there was a lot of play but at least I could turn the wheel with one finger and power steering was perfect smh

I hear there are issues with the borgeson pump - mostly noise but I have no idea what psi it’s putting out. If the wheel is still moving on its own you haven’t gotten the adjustment right. Sounds like the shaft isn’t centered either. Master spline on both the box and column should be centered and indexed at 12 o’clock.

Did you use this new pump with the old box? Or did you change both at one time? Where is the old pump?

Firm feel has been around a while and they know what they are doing.

Keep looking for the problem.

It looks like the Borg pump is around 1200-1350 psi, which is on the high side. Did the car already have a Saginaw pump on it? You can swap the old pressure valve in and have the same psi as before, or add shims on the new one to drop the pressure a bit.

You don’t HAVE to do this, but it will make the box feel less floaty.

I have 2 stage 3 boxes from FF and they are awesome. FF is a reputable company and if they screwed something up they will own it that said it sounds to me like you have some other issues going on, not saying the box is good but in order for things to work everything must be good.

Auto Transport Service
Back