• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering is a nightmare...

Mason

Local time
11:11 PM
Reaction score
Hey guys, on Christmas morning I went out to finish up filling my transmission and taking my 70' out for it's first cruise in 22 years but soon realized how terrible the steering was. The car was parked after 56,000 miles in '97 and left to rot in a field till I got a hold of it. I didn't think the steering would have as much play and need literally constant and large adjustment just to move in a straight line. I know I need to replace all the bushings and rubber components to the suspension but what else should I be looking for to replace and/or fix? I'm pretty sure bushing replacements aren't going to fix this to 100%...would it have anything to do with the steering box? Any help would be really appreciated!

I am laughing to myself because I had a very similar experience when I built my 70 Challenger. I put all new bushings and ball joints in it but I had forgotten just how "slushy" those 70's Mopars could be. I eventually put a Firm Feel stage 3 box in it (had mine rebuilt) along with a fast ratio pitman and idler arm; WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! its like driving a modern car now. Not saying this is the route you need to go, just sharing my experience. You should take a look at your box, tight it up using the adjustment on the top, that might help some. These cars were over pressurized in the PS system which was the objective at the time but now just makes it feel sloppy. There are a number of articles on how to tighten up the steering; I believe Mopar Action did some.

Power or manual steering? Power steering in the day was very touchy. I call it one finger steering. I have some that haven't been upgraded to firm feel that are extremely hard to drive. On those I just put my left arm in the window and hang one finger in the steering wheel and only slight movements to keep it straight. If I try to drive them with both hands on the wheel I will be all over the road.

If the bushings are original, I'd bet that they are shredded. The steering box surely needs at least an adjustment and keep in mind that the tires and alignment of the 70s are way too conservative compared to todays cars. Caster is a huge factor. New cars use a lot, old cars use very little. It helps make the steering feel more stable and safe.

Power or manual steering? Power steering in the day was very touchy. I call it one finger steering. I have some that haven't been upgraded to firm feel that are extremely hard to drive. On those I just put my left arm in the window and hang one finger in the steering wheel and only slight movements to keep it straight. If I try to drive them with both hands on the wheel I will be all over the road.
My car came with power steering and yes it reminds me of something a cadillac would be known for haha. It is very smooth and I am able to do the one finger driving...my problem is the amount of play I have between the actual turning of my car. I just would like it to feel like I have more control in case I ever run into a close-call situation.

Not a lot of difference between stage 2 and 3 and everyone I know who went with 2 regretted not getting 3, just saying

If the bushings are original, I'd bet that they are shredded. The steering box surely needs at least an adjustment and keep in mind that the tires and alignment of the 70s are way too conservative compared to todays cars. Caster is a huge factor. New cars use a lot, old cars use very little. It helps make the steering feel more stable and safe.
Yeah they have never been touched before. Do you think there would be anything else I should replace or get checked out besides the steering box, bushings, and alignment?

My car came with power steering and yes it reminds me of something a cadillac would be known for haha. It is very smooth and I am able to do the one finger driving...my problem is the amount of play I have between the actual turning of my car. I just would like it to feel like I have more control in case I ever run into a close-call situation.

Thats your box, even tightening it up will not change that slushy no feel situation, you need to change the box or have it rebuilt. I put a Stage 3 in my Cuda and Challenger and the feeling is almost as good as my 2010 Challenger RT which isn't that far off my 01 Viper.

Yeah they have never been touched before. Do you think there would be anything else I should replace or get checked out besides the steering box, bushings, and alignment?
Some feel that the upper ball joints are very durable and rarely need replacement but that the lowers wear out along with the bushings for the lower control arms, upper control arms and the idler arm. PST is a site sponsor here and they sell a master rebuild kit with everything you'd need to replace all the worn parts. Most of us with restored cars have been through this so any advice you'd need is right here.
I've rebuilt several myself. I do all the disassembly and reassembly but have the bushings pressed in at a shop. I have my cars aligned to some pretty specific numbers that result in great steering, great handling cars.

Thats your box, even tightening it up will not change that slushy no feel situation, you need to change the box or have it rebuilt. I put a Stage 3 in my Cuda and Challenger and the feeling is almost as good as my 2010 Challenger RT which isn't that far off my 01 Viper.
Alrighty, that's a nice set of cars you have there. This is my first car, I just got it driving after slaving for 2 years lol. Just turned 18. How much do these steering box run for?

Went with Stage 1 and shoulda went Stage 2.
I guess it depends on what feel you are looking for, Dick @ FF told me that Stage 1 is like a firm stock box where as a stage 2 is more like a Police box and 3 is more like a modern can (as much as can be using the factory components). I designed an adjustable PS system for my Cuda using a GM PS pump, but sadly it didn't work out and I ripped it out and put a stock pump back in which works find. Car has a lot of road feel, very firm and fun to drive.

You might be surprised how different it feels if you install all new bushes and shocks. Mine was night and day difference but I changed everything i.e. all ball joints, bushes, idler arm, pitman arm, tie rods, and koni shocks. I went for the PST polygraphite kit. The only things I left original were the torsion bars and in hindsight I would have changed them too. The power steering was left alone except I pulled the coupler out and re-greased the shoes. If you don't change everything the one dodgy bush or ball joint will let the whole team down and honestly as others have said, they'll all be toast. Also check the bolts holding the steering box are torqued to spec (approx 80lbs ft I think). If they aren't fully tight the box can move slightly when turning and it adds to the loose feeling. It's a costly exercise doing the lot but well worth it.

Alrighty, that's a nice set of cars you have there. This is my first car, I just got it driving after slaving for 2 years lol. Just turned 18. How much do these steering box run for?

Thanks, I fondly remember being 18 which by then I had already gone through a number of cars and had a 74 Challenger (this 1978). Anyway, rebuilding your box is probably around $350 or so.

Some feel that the upper ball joints are very durable and rarely need replacement but that the lowers wear out along with the bushings for the lower control arms, upper control arms and the idler arm. PST is a site sponsor here and they sell a master rebuild kit with everything you'd need to replace all the worn parts. Most of us with restored cars have been through this so any advice you'd need is right here.
I've rebuilt several myself. I do all the disassembly and reassembly but have the bushings pressed in at a shop. I have my cars aligned to some pretty specific numbers that result in great steering, great handling cars.
I appreciate all the advice, I'm going to try and replace all that I can for the time being with the money I have. Just turned 18 and blew so much money on parts to put on this thing...I think I'll start with trying to replace the bushings and then maybe the steering box and go from there

You might be surprised how different it feels if you install all new bushes and shocks. Mine was night and day difference but I changed everything i.e. all ball joints, bushes, idler arm, pitman arm, tie rods, and koni shocks. I went for the PST polygraphite kit. The only things I left original were the torsion bars and in hindsight I would have changed them too. The power steering was left alone except I pulled the coupler out and re-greased the shoes. If you don't change everything the one dodgy bush or ball joint will let the whole team down and honestly as others have said, they'll all be toast. Also check the bolts holding the steering box are torqued to spec (approx 80lbs ft I think). If they aren't fully tight the box can move slightly when turning and it adds to the loose feeling. It's a costly exercise doing the lot but well worth it.
That sounds like a pretty penny! I'm sure it does handle like a whole different car, hoping I can just get mine to a comfortable point to at least drive it out in this crazy Houston traffic, I'll start with the essentials and work from there

Thanks, I fondly remember being 18 which by then I had already gone through a number of cars and had a 74 Challenger (this 1978). Anyway, rebuilding your box is probably around $350 or so.
You're a mopar man at heart haha! Am I better off just going with a new steering box setup? If it's really worth what y'all are saying it is I might just go with that

Also where did y'all get rebuilds or new stage 2 and 3 steering boxes?

Auto Transport Service
Back