• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering issues

2blader

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:22 AM
Reaction score
So I bought a car a year ago with a Hydroboost brake system. The brakes work great. However, the car always steered like crap. Feels like a manual steering car. The car was never aligned so I chalked it up to that. Had that done and it still sucks. Awhile ago I checked the brake fluid and some previous owner UMM caretaker must have used brake AND PS fluid in the brake master cylinder as it was an odd color and just looked cloudy and like it was contaminated. Yes, bled the brakes and removed all that crap. Guess what, same crap in the PS pump. So my question IS if somebody used brake fluid in a power steering system can that ruin the seals in the PS box thus making it hard to steer. No leaks….belts tight. There is NO way you could turn the car with ONE hand like you should be able to with power steering. It doesn’t self center either BUT not sure if that is related to the fluid issue (steering box) OR not enuff positive caster. Any ideas would be appreciated….Scott

Running a pressure test will tell you whats going on.

Hmmm, whelp gonna figure out how to do that. Thx for the input.

Hmm good question, I can't say I've ever encountered brake fluid in the PS system. I'd drain & flush, probably a few times, see if that makes a difference. Mopar PS systems were always finger-twirling good.

and when I say hard steering its not the hard steering you experience when the belt is loose. No weird sounds or chattering feeling in the wheel. Just too much effort needed for what you would expect from a power steering car.

Hmm good question, I can't say I've ever encountered brake fluid in the PS system. I'd drain & flush, probably a few times, see if that makes a difference. Mopar PS systems were always finger-twirling good.
yep, draining and flushing with standard PS fluid today when the kid gets home.

I'd drain it, fill it, run it, drain it, fill it. Then see how it performs.

The car may have been fitted with a Firm Feel steering box. My Charger felt like Manual steering with the Firm Feel Stage 3 box and Fast Ratio Idler and Pitman arms.

The car may have been fitted with a Firm Feel steering box. My Charger felt like Manual steering with the Firm Feel Stage 3 box and Fast Ratio Idler and Pitman arms.
Hey KD,
Yea, I am thinking this is more the issue and I ain’t liking it. Car was built in 2014 so not too sure what it may or may not have since I came from BBC Chevelles. Would this firm feel box keep the steering wheel from self centering? The steering is easier in my 2500 Dmax FFS. Scott

The lack of self centering is mostly found to be an alignment issue where the car is set to factory specs. Back in the days of Bias Ply tires, these cars were aligned with very little caster. Caster makes the wheels want to point ahead and it helps the wheel return after a turn. I've also found that if the column isn't properly adjusted, the inner shaft can rub the outer shaft, binding it a little and also making it difficult to return to center.

Look at the photo below and see where the black arrows are pointing?

Borg 69_LI.jpg

I think that there is supposed to be some type of bearing or nylon collar there to keep the shaft centered. Mine was missing so I tack welded a small bearing there in mine.

The lack of self centering is mostly found to be an alignment issue where the car is set to factory specs. Back in the days of Bias Ply tires, these cars were aligned with very little caster. Caster makes the wheels want to point ahead and it helps the wheel return after a turn. I've also found that if the column isn't properly adjusted, the inner shaft can rub the outer shaft, binding it a little and also making it difficult to return to center.

Look at the photo below and see where the black arrows are pointing?

View attachment 1295272

I think that there is supposed to be some type of bearing or nylon collar there to keep the shaft centered. Mine was missing so I tack welded a small bearing there in mine.
OK thanks KD. Maybe un couple the coupler and then check that to see if is clear and free itself before I start ripping it apart.

OK thanks KD. Maybe un couple the coupler and then check that to see if is clear and free itself before I start ripping it apart.
Also decided to try and adjust the gear shaft adjustment in the service manual and maybe that may help. Who knows what was done when and IF the box was serviced.... That nylon collar is there and in good condition.

There are several things that can be happening. We're a hydratech dealer and are familiar with how these systems work. The first thing is either post a picture of the installation or text me directly to 516.384.6438. From there I can help.

Whelp after talkin to Hydratech (thx Jim) it seems to be the box which also has a ton of slop in it. The pump works as I have brakes so it isn't the pump or anything else so time for a box. My current OEM box is hitting a header tube so thinking I am going Boregeson since it will gimme some room with the Hemi. Hope there isn't much to do to make it fit since I oddly I already have a Borgeson coupler. The current box is smashed up close to the inner fender where it screwed the paint pretty bad I guess when they um assembled the car. . The other spot you can see it is in direct contact with a header tube so everything can nice and hot. So I am thinking of getting a Borgeson box for space consideration and hopefully the shaft isn’t too short. Thanks Scott (I am in NJ)

144B3F37-0F2C-44CB-AF3E-FB0575600DAD.jpeg

B5835B54-8545-4A47-B5BE-268222DD5870.jpeg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back