• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering turns to the right while idling

Charles Cook

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:35 AM
Reaction score
I know I seen on here where someone’s steering wheel turns to the right on its own does anyone know what to do to fix this. I can’t remember what the fix ended up being. Thanks

I'm guessing power steering. Probably the cross shaft adjustment on the p/s gear box. It can be a very touchy adjustment and there have been several threads on this. Look up that adjustment in the " Search Forums " box and You should find help there. Good Luck.

The valve on top of the steering box must have been knocked out of position.
There is a finger inside which flips one one of the other to allow oil pressure to turn the gears inside (basically)

You could try and tap the housing a smidge each way (only slightly loosen the two fixing bolts on top) with the car jacked up in the front, and the engine running. You will know when it is close as the steering wheel will stop turning.

It is a very fiddly job, so be patient with it.

This pic shows approx location of the two bolts you need to very slightly loosen, to tap the valve body.

upload_2021-2-27_17-50-34.png

@dadsbee - I forgot which way to tap the valve - front to back - or side to side?
Tap from top or bottom, loosen bolts just a lil, when steering doesn’t move to either side at the start of the ignition, the valve is centered. Then tighten the bolts back down 20 lbs torque

Keep your hands and fingers away from wheel when adjusting. If adjust without engine running, when you start engine same thing applies.

Auto Transport Service
Back