• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering wheel center.

TopBanana72

Local time
4:44 PM
Reaction score
OK, so I got the alignment done after the front end rebuild. Alignment is "perfect". I'm very happy. But the alignment guy and I talked about why the steering wheel is 45 degrees off. I did remove the steering wheel once to replace the turn signal switch and thought I replaced it the same. That was before the rebuild when the alignment was wayyyy off though. I just wonder...

What do I do? does the steering wheel go on it's splines more than one position?

thanks in advance.

IMG_0630.jpg

Steering wheel goes on only one way.

The tie rods have to be adjusted to center the wheel.

The alignment guy should have at least mentioned it to you.
He might have had to charge extra to center the wheel.

I had the same issue on my 69 Charger after I rebuilt the front end. The steering wheel only goes on one way on mine. Not sure about yours. I made the the front end guys realign the car after I put the wheel in the correct location. They were not overly thrilled about having to do the job a second time but they should have done it right the first time.

The alignment guy should have centred the steering before doing the alignment.
This is making sure the steering box is centred and aligning the steering wheel.
They should rectify the problem for free in my opinion.

I have never got an alignment where the tech didn't center and hold the wheel and then adjust the tie rod adjusters. I think you need to go back and tell him how it should be done. Or get your money back and find a shop that knows what they are doing.

The wheel should of been centered with the alignment. It’s included in the price. Caster/camber is an additional charge usually. I center everyone as I can’t stand it if the wheel is off center. If he doesn’t know how to do it find someone that does. As said b4, u adjust the tie rods. Both sides should be even and the number of threads should be the same for both pairs. Ride height should be set first. Kim

An alignment guy who doesn’t know how to center a wheel, c’mon. They should have put the spring loaded thing to hold the wheel tight too.

Is this issue really that simple?

@TopBanana72 turn the wheel lock to lock and see where ‘center’ is.

An alignment guy who doesn’t know how to center a wheel, c’mon. They should have put the spring loaded thing to hold the wheel tight too.

Is this issue really that simple?

@TopBanana72 turn the wheel lock to lock and see where ‘center’ is.

Looks like the verdict is in. I think the guy will make it right for sure. He was an older guy, otherwise working with me well with good equipment. Got the skosh chart and everything. I'll have to wait 'til after Carlisle though to get it corrected.

Make sure you report back so we know if that’s it. Centering the wheel is the first thing the alignment tech learns, no matter when they learned. That’s a mile off. See you at Carlisle!

The problem is called clear vision (steering wheel on center) and the alignment tech should have centered the steering wheel when setting up the car for alignment. Hope they resolve the issue without fuss.

Who did the "front end rebuild ?" Was the wheel centered before the "rebuild? " What was done in the "rebuild?" Easy to blame the last guy, assuming it was correct to begin with. Remember the age of these ars. How long have you owned it ? How many owners before. I have seen many things not done correctly and "made to fit" by home mechanics. Not beyond possibility of a misinstalled steering wheel, pitman arm . The alignment man should have done a thorough suspension inspection before he started and the first thing done after the tires/sizes/wheel sizes, air pressures are verified is to center the wheel and set the ride height. With the wheel centered the alignment person should have notice immediately if there was a problem with the front suspension when he went back under the car to make adjustments. Also just FYI when the adjustments are made, remember that the car is "static" meaning not in motion and that the suspension is constantly moving as the car "floats" up and down as you go down the hi-way so you don't want the camber or toe set to the minimum or maximum allowable settings. Should set it midway between the specs for best tire wear.

If a factory stock wheel, it will install in one position. See the doublewide spline on the wheel from my 1972 Charger.

E1FD313C-262B-437E-80DB-BF44A24A95CE.jpeg

MoparLeo makes a good point that I had forgotten all about.
Alignment techs once checked the entire front suspension over to make sure the car could be aligned correctly and there were no mechanical issues with the car.
If they found anything you were told about it and expected to fix it and bring it back for an alignment after the repair.
These days on the machine it goes and they get their money. Tough for you if it still chops out tyres.

Who did the "front end rebuild ?" Was the wheel centered before the "rebuild? " What was done in the "rebuild?" Easy to blame the last guy, assuming it was correct to begin with. Remember the age of these ars. How long have you owned it ? How many owners before. I have seen many things not done correctly and "made to fit" by home mechanics. Not beyond possibility of a misinstalled steering wheel, pitman arm . The alignment man should have done a thorough suspension inspection before he started and the first thing done after the tires/sizes/wheel sizes, air pressures are verified is to center the wheel and set the ride height. With the wheel centered the alignment person should have notice immediately if there was a problem with the front suspension when he went back under the car to make adjustments. Also just FYI when the adjustments are made, remember that the car is "static" meaning not in motion and that the suspension is constantly moving as the car "floats" up and down as you go down the hi-way so you don't want the camber or toe set to the minimum or maximum allowable settings. Should set it midway between the specs for best tire wear.

I rebuilt the suspension myself . It was my first time, so it is possibly I did something wrong, although I never felt I was needing to making anything fit. The alignment guy did ask me if I installed the pitman arm in the same position as the old. I'm very sure I did, but he did ask. I am willing to work with him to correct anything I might have done wrong and likewise he is willing to work with me to get the steering wheel straight. The car does drive extremely well and straight and smooth once I get used to the cock-eyed steering wheel. Left turn signal cancel doesn't work also, so I am aware. I'll post an update next week when I get back home to work with the guy.

Good luck. Steve
A lot of those parts have master splines but something could be out.
I hope it is simple to sort out.

If a factory stock wheel, it will install in one position. See the doublewide spline on the wheel from my 1972 Charger.

View attachment 973086

Yes, I recognize that. I did have my steering wheel off once to replace the turn signal switch. I know it went back on the same way. Curiously, the steering wheel was just a little crooked before the rebuild. Major reason for full rebuild is that all bushings were shot and I had the terrible tire wear.

A simple check is to jack it up and go to full left lock - counts the turns to full right lock - and then go back half way.
This should give or take be the mid point of the steering box and the steering wheel should be centred. Mopar use master splines so this should be right - assuming you got it right.
If it is - probably OK if not something may be off.
Another quick thing is the angle of the steering box Pittman arm and the steering idler should be near enough to the same and at centre of the steering box they usually point straight at the ground - this is the centre of their arc.

I've owned the car 4 years. It is about a 20 year-old restoration. The steering wheel was slightly cocked to the right and I had terrible inner tire wear. What was done on the rebuild was pretty much everything. Not knowing the history of the car, I wanted everything newly done. All bushings looked old, deteriorated and cracked. I did new upper a arms with bushings and BJ's. New lower BJ's, new spindles, new strut rod bushings, new sway bar end links, new rotors and brakes, new tie rod ends and sleeves, new LCA bushings, new pitman arm, new idler arm. I even replace the leaking seal where the pitman arm connects. All Moog parts except the sway bar end links which are proforged and the spindles which were Dr. Diff. The rotors and pads were over the counter. The wheels are the original 14 rallies. Tires are new Cooper's (don't remember the size, but I equate them to the old 70 series).

Steering wheel center is almost always caused by the tie rod adjusting sleeves when all else is behaving perfectly. I hope your problem is that simple.

Auto Transport Service
Back