• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering wheel help

bcOH67

Local time
3:31 AM
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

So I might have an oddball situation, but wanted to check and see if it's come up before.

I installed a new turn signal switch last season and everything was working fine for a month or so until the turn-left action broke. It can still barely make contact and flash the lights but I have to pull down on the turn signal lever really hard and hold it. Turn-right action works fine. Some of my taillights are not functioning of course. I have a feeling the metal ring with the stem on the back side of the steering wheel (assuming it's called a signal canceller or something) broke it somehow, but I don' know how to adjust it as I can't see inside the wheel when it's together...and because I'm a dumb dumb.

Anyone ever dealt with this before of have any adjustment recommendatins before I throw it back together and hope for the best? I was thinking I'll just take that metal ring off and cancel the turn signal with my hand.

Sounds like the switch is busted up.

Hi everyone.

So I might have an oddball situation, but wanted to check and see if it's come up before.

I installed a new turn signal switch last season and everything was working fine for a month or so until the turn-left action broke. It can still barely make contact and flash the lights but I have to pull down on the turn signal lever really hard and hold it. Turn-right action works fine. Some of my taillights are not functioning of course. I have a feeling the metal ring with the stem on the back side of the steering wheel (assuming it's called a signal canceller or something) broke it somehow, but I don' know how to adjust it as I can't see inside the wheel when it's together...and because I'm a dumb dumb.

Anyone ever dealt with this before of have any adjustment recommendatins before I throw it back together and hope for the best? I was thinking I'll just take that metal ring off and cancel the turn signal with my hand.
Sound like you need to R&R your ts switch, instead of deleting parts.

You will not like cancelling the signal by hand for long. Something may have been broken or mal-adjusted during re-assembly. Worst part is pulling steering wheel (not hard with a puller, I made one for this) and making sure it goes back on exactly as it was removed for a straight wheel if it's straight now. I use a marker for this.

Most local auto parts stores have cheap wheel pullers. Under $20 IIRC. It's a good tool to have.

Very common for one of the sprung plastic cancel "ears" to break off.

Sounds like the broken part might be lodged at the bottom of the lever travel.

67 and older "narrow column" switches are not super easy to find.

IIRC FxBO member "slantsixdan" used to sell the correct part.

You can get the whole assembly or just the plastic two piece switch.

However, putting all the wires on the switch can be challenging and it's easy to ruin the switch doing it.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! Yeah I have a puller, I’ve done it before without problem so hopefully will go smoothly. I’ll be attacking it tomorrow and see what happened. The current broken switch and new one I’ll be putting in are from slantsixdan. I’ll let everyone know what I find out but I’m guessing I didn’t put that metal ring back on correctly last time. At least hopefully it’s that easy

So best I can tell is I had the metal ring in the wrong position on the steering wheel. Broke both the cancel cam grab arms off. Not sure why the left indicator stopped working as nothing else was broke. Put the new switch in and everything is working fine, so correct wiring after the steering column is confirmed. Thanks again guys

Final update. Wheel’s back on and everything is tight and working perfectly!

Pretty sure along with the cancel ring/pin being in the wrong spot on the wheel, I also had the wheel too tightly compressed down on the shaft. Not sure if that’s possible, but it looked like some things were rubbing more than they should. Also…I can use my horns now lol. I disconnected them a while back because when I would turn the wheel they’d randomly go off. Found out the fiber washer that isolates the cancel ring/pin was deteriorated and was allowing contact.

Auto Transport Service
Back