• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering wheel horn question

dan juhasz

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:00 PM
Reaction score
Bought a 67 recall steering wheel a little while back finally got around to installing it today. Once tightened up I checked the horns operation at it would sound and not stop unless I turned the wheel a little bit. Ok, I removed the 3 screws and found that the horn switch was bad as there was no spring action to it, it was just solid. Had a known good switch ,installed it same thing. Ok, removed the wheel grabbed an ohmeter and went from ground to horn ring, it showed about 1k resistance. this wheel was disassembled when rechromed so I'm assuming the insulation between the copper contact ring and the wheel is compromised. Wanted to removed the heavy turn signal canceling spring on the hub but it didn't want to budge. What is the method to safely remove this spring so I can take of the copper ring to inspect the insulation?

I’d check continuity between the splined hub and the contact ring first. If you have continuity then remove the turn signal canceling retainer (it’s not a spring) with vise grips. Lay the wheel upside down and grab the vertical part of the retainer and turn it in whatever direction relieves pressure on it while pulling up off the hub and it should come off.

I used a pair of pliers I purchased for gearbox retaining rings. Just spring it open a bit and slide up at the same time.
I had a similar problem with a friends car and I just made a little "bed" of electrical insulation tape, trimmed it with a modelling knife and it worked out well.

Auto Transport Service
Back