• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering wheel How to

Bob M

Local time
10:44 AM
Reaction score
I need to take the steering wheel of my 1972 charger and don't know how to do this. I can't find any screws on the back of the wheel How do I get the front cover off so that I can get to the bolt that holds the steering wheel on the steering shaft.
Bob M

Steering wheel-valve cover 008b.JPG

Last edited:
Bob, a pic would be helpful so we can see which wheel you are working with but the center cap should screw/pop off revealing the retaining nut you mentioned. After the nut is removed, you will need to use a puller as well.

Got it off

:yes:Center plastic has 3 snap locks I used a screw driver very slowly pryed ir off , then 3 screws held the horn ring on Didn't break anything yet. I want to paint the sterring wheel any suggestions on what type paint to use?
Bob m

Steering wheel 2 005a.JPG

SEM is good, but your best bet is to prepare it and take it to a local paint/body shop and have them put some good automotive finish on it.

The main thing you need to do is make sure the wheel is cleaned very well. SEM makes a plastic/vinyl cleaner that works good. If you're going to do it yourself, scuff the wheel with 320 wet or dry first, smooth out any dings or nicks while your at it, wipe down with the cleaner and spray away. Let me know if I can be of any help.:steering:

Dave

Auto Transport Service
Back