• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

steering wheel lock and key stuck in ignition

velrob

Local time
11:48 PM
Reaction score
Two questions.

1) i put my steering column back into my car and the steering wheel spins freely. is that normal? im still rewiring my car not competed.

2) key stuck in a new ignition. car cranks but wont go back into the lock position. im guessing it has to do something with gear in park? how does the car notify the ignition the key is in park so i can get that part working?

thanks

sorry 71 charger 383 automatic 727

aftermarket wire harness

hmm nope its not. i just bolted it together. im guessing i need to take the column apart again?

Grab the lower collet on the steering column and rotate it upward,or counter clockwise,and turn the ignition switch and it will lock the column and release the key.

Last edited:
the lower collet doesnt turn. is it supposed to ?

Yes,it operates the lever for the shifter lock,when you move the shifter,it rotates,and when you lock the ignition,it locks the shifter in park. The ignition switch will not go to the lock position,and release the key,until the collet is in the right position to lock the shifter in the park position. On manual transmission equipped cars they lock in the shifter in reverse gear. It's an anti theft devise.

Last edited:
I guess you meant in reverse for column shifter manual cars? Because floor shifter ( manual and auto ) are not related with tranny gear.

I know that 1970 cars have the column lock mechanism attached to the reverse lever on manual transmission equipped cars,floor shift and column shift cars. When the shifter is put in reverse it rotates collet and locks the shifter in reverse when the ignition switch locks the steering wheel! I would assume 71 to 74 cars were the same. The automatic cars have to be in park for the key to lock the column,when you move the shifter on floor shift cars the lower collet closest to the dash rotates,the same as it would with a column shift,on all B and E body from 70 to 74. If your shifter lock mechanism is working properly auto cars have to be in park,and reverse on manual trans cars to release key,thats why the OP needs to rotate the lower collet to lock the column and release the key. Most cars have had the linkage that operates this theft deturant system removed or disconnected,and that's why their column will lock reguardless of the position of the shift lever.

Last edited:
Yes I understand, but 71 and lates floor shifter cars are not related to Tranny to lock/unlock the cylinder, Just column shifters. And these get the system built into the column, as far I know. 70 Mopars got a diff system with an extra linkage linked to the tranny linkage, including floor shifters.

Last edited:
my car is auto with shifter on the floor. the 3rd collet doesnt spin its bolted.

Hmm so how does the key lock know when the car is in park? neutral safety switch?

thats what my question was. does the ignition check if the car is in park before itll allow me to go back into lock mode?

if thats the case how can i mimic that? as my car isnt fully wired yet as im testing individual components to make sure it all works before putting it all back together. i wanted to see if the starter kicks in when i use the key and it does. I stopped it at that point to move onto the next steps.

I always thought it was funny on gm cars, to see the steering column rotate when the floor shifter was moved between gears.

Not so on Mopars

66/67 doesn't do it, and neither does 71-74.

not sure about 68-70

1970 Mopars definitely have that column shifter lock mechanism, I just assumed that my 71 and up cars were missing the locking linkage, as most people removed them from 1970 models. Late 71 and up cars also had that key depress lever to remove the key,maybe your column is missing the collet with the key depress lever and that may be why the key will not release? If you swapped out the collets to convert the column to a floor shift column,the 70 and early 71 parts will fit,but if the column is set up for the key release depress lever,the key will not come out of the column or return to the locked position without depressing that lever.

Last edited:
Silly question......have you got the Trunk key stuck in the ignition. I had a guy put my trunk key in the ignition a couple of years ago, and it too got stuck. Took some wriggling, but it came out.

This key came with the key lock :) Its new. Would it be possible to turn the key with a trunk key ?

This steering column doesnt have the key release lever. I think ive seen that before but mine doesnt have the area for that. My old lock doesnt have it either. The car came with a floor shifter. Its a superbee.

Im going to take the top off again and see whats going on.

Not easy to see but this is the collar with the lettering

340_p44_l.jpg

Repro pieces for the floor shifter conversion... unlocking collar included

mancini-racing-1971-79-floor-shift-steering-column-collars-5.jpg

And repro decal ( to be attached to the original aluminium sheet insert in to the collar provision indent for that )

7M2A5885__37032.1534615595.jpg

Last edited:
Nacho do you have a source for that decal? I'd sure like to have one!!!

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back