• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering Wheel upside down

mpro69rr

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:49 AM
Reaction score
Hello All, I'm new here and just bought a 1969 RR. The power steering box was leaking bad so I went with a borgeson. After installing the steering column I noticed I installed the steering wheel upside down, do I have to remove the column again or can I just remove the steering wheel and place it right side up?

How is the steering operation - lock to lock - any difference in amount of travel at the wheels?

Did you have the coupler off of the shaft?? If so you put your coupler back onto the steering shaft 180* out!

Wheel only goes on in one position due to the double width spline at the top.

That's what I thought! Dang it, now I have to take the whole thing apart again. lol Other than that the steering works fine, lock to lock. Thanks guys, this is a great site!

Coupler only goes one way onto the box as well as it's keyed! It's the coupler itself that can be put in place wrong @ 180* out on the column shaft.

Then that's the issue as both the wheel and the coupler are keyed. It's only the coupler itself that can be installed 180* out on the column shaft.

Then that's the issue as both the wheel and the coupler are keyed. It's only the coupler itself that can be installed 180* out on the column shaft.

That's sounds right! Thanks, I didn't think I would get an answer this quick!

It has been a while since I installed the Borgie in my car but I seem to recall that the Borgie spline and coupler are not keyed. You need to center up the steering sector then make sure the steering wheel is centered when you slide the two together. Mine is about 6 years old. I know they made some changes to the sector since I bought mine. They could have keyed the splines since then.

Notch indicates "key" on OE coupler.. it is up to match key on box spline. Small hole on steering shaft up as you assemble. I have no idea if the Borg box is keyed, but I'd certainly think it is and you could use an OE coupler to install. Seeing the OP is also exactly 180* out I doubt he fluked out on spline line up if not keyed.
beerestoration2018 1743.JPG

Notch indicates "key" on OE coupler.. it is up to match key on box spline. Small hole on steering shaft up as you assemble. I have no idea if the Borg box is keyed, but I'd certainly think it is and you could use an OE coupler to install. Seeing the OP is also exactly 180* out I doubt he fluked out on spline line up if not keyed.
View attachment 750084

The bergman coupler is not keyed, it just goes on, Thanks to you guys now I know I put the coupler on 180 degrees out.

Auto Transport Service
Back