• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sticky Doors

Dibbons

Local time
4:02 AM
Reaction score
My '72 Satellite interior/exterior pretty much completed. Driver's door don't want to open. I hear the outside door handles eventually fail (not sure what breaks) so I am a little concerned.

Went online to research what I could use on the rubbers, believing that is what is making the door "stick" closed. The first website I found (and I don't remember the name of the site) was a manufacturer of rubber door seals. Their recommendation "don't put anything on the rubber". They claimed their rubber formula was far superior to the old factory stuff and their rubbers should remain untreated.

That doesn't help me any. I don't want to continue fighting to get the door open. And I know the latch is already adjusted perfectly because the door closes perfectly. Thank you.

Is the latch mechanism well lubed? If not, it may be sticking. White lithium grease is what I believe to be correct. Works for me.

I use white lithium grease as well. I will double check next time I pull the vehicle outside, but I think that grease on the latch is still fresh.

Am I understanding correctly ? You wonder if the rubber seal around the door may be "sticky" and making it hard ti open the door ?

CAn we assume your door hinges are in good repair? That’s what was causing my doors to stick. They we off just a little bit.

check striker adjustment as well.

I've seen them hang up on the top.

The handle doesn't release the latch. The handle moves a pawl. When the pawl moves, a spring in the assembly releases the latch. If the assembly is rusty the latch itself can stick shut. White lube won't get it. A good dose of PB Blaster or similar rust penetrant. I've had some that even then they stayed stuck. Had to get into the door to pry the latch itself.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back