• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sticky goo coming out of orange box

FU64RY

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:59 PM
Reaction score
69 Sport Satellite SW .
Shut off on me abruptly yesterday while driving.
Orange box on the firewall leaking goo.
Could this be the problem?

Man
This thread could really go wrong !

Sounds like your ignition control unit is toast/fried/melted/nuked

The goo is potting compound?

That sure don't sound right...obviously. Can hope it's a bad box and not something else going on causing the problem. I keep a spare box in my trunk.

It's more of a resin type gel - can get very soft to the touch when hot. Firm when cold, and gelatinases when warmed. :thumbsup:
Yeah, I had one wrapped up and stored in my garage. It ran out over time and made a big mess.

I second the idea of a second box as a backup.
My, DC silver box, de-gooded it's self, installed on the Charger just sitting in the garage with no battery, sometime between 1985 (last on the road) and 2015 (starting to get road worthy again).

I had a vintage 80's Chrome box which started leaking bad. They were designed for racing mostly, so street driving heated them up faster I guess.

The Rev-N-Nator I bought has never leaked - the compound they use is far superior.

Ahhh, brain goo.

I always keep a spare brain, voltage regulator and ballast resistor in my trunk.

...and I mounted a plate with a trough at the bottom behind my current ECM just in case the goo comes out.

That goo is super sticky. You will remove all paint before the goo comes off.

One of my friends mounted a computer CPU cooler fan on his.

Pretty good idea. they come in 5v or 12v.

Auto Transport Service
Back