• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Still no luck with the '69 Charger 383. Hasn't fired once.

SteveSS

Local time
12:25 AM
Reaction score
It was running great then started backfiring and losing power. Limped it home and can't get it to fire once. On advice from here, changed the points and condenser. Changed the coil. Changed the plugs. Changed the ballast resistor. Set the timing at 13 degrees.

It cranks well. I'm pouring gas or starting fluid down the carb. The plugs get wet after cranking. I've got spark, at least at the plug wires. It won't fire once.

The wiring at the bulkhead is kind of hinky. There's a jump wire going from a brown wire that isn't connected to the box to a sprig of a wire shoved in next to a purple wire at the box. I took off the jump wire and I got nothing. No crank, lights, anything so I put it back.

One weird thing. When we were limping it home and it was running terrible, it ran well for two blocks then ran terrible again.

wire.jpg

Yikes, I would first repair that wiring concern correctly. Starting issue related or not.

I will. I'd like to get it started first. It ran for years like this and years before I got it.

Did you try changing the rotor and cap as well ?
Just spitballing and I think it is more likely an electrical issue at the bulkhead or ignition switch.

Off the little details you just posted: How's the distributor cap ? Are the plug cables in order 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 ?

If you have spark and fuel then I'd be looking at the timing. Maybe the chain jumped or broke?

I would verify timing if all else checks out but seems unlikely.

Basics: spark, good fuel, and correct timing from both distributor and camshaft. So make sure the timing chain didn’t jump a tooth. Probably not but it needs to be checked in this situation.

Running a jumper wire to the + side of the coil should produce spark. If not you are down to coil, wires, cap, rotor and plugs not fouled.

If the plugs are wet it won’t run. Remove them and clean and dry them, they won’t dry while in the engine. Crank the engine with the plugs out to be sure cylinders are clear. Disable the ignition system so you don’t make a fire when doing this.

Just use a 2 second blast of starting fluid, open the throttle plates and then spray it in and close the throttle plates. It will want to run just from the fumes. Then the plugs won’t be getting wet either.

Try this in a different classic car that runs fine. It will pop immediately.

That car should be running in 30 minutes or less.

Jump 12V directly to the coil and see if you have fire and spark. If it fires up then look at wiring and ballast circuit. If still no fire then points and wiring to coil is the issue.

How many miles are on the engine? If all else fails, check how many degrees you can bar the engine over before the distributor moves. Pick a starting point and make note of when the distributor starts to move then go the other way. It may not be the whole problem but it could be a factor if there's lots of slop in the chain.

is ground wire attached from engine to firewall on pass side?

I had an issue with my 73 where it intermittently died. Turned out to be the tack wire occasionally grounding to the firewall where it passed through the hole in the firewall.

I suggest you remove anything electrical that is not needed for the ignition, and also check your grounds and be SURE they are clean and well connected.

I'm with the dry plugs a can of starting fluid and a 12 volt feed straight to a good coil guys.

The fact that it ran well for a couple of blocks eliminates quite a few possibilities, such as wiped cam lobes.
Sounds like an intermittent elec problem, but could be carb related. What carb, not the dreaded H or clone I hope?
With points, plugs will need to be completely dry & clean to produce a spark.

The fact that it ran well for a couple of blocks eliminates quite a few possibilities, such as wiped cam lobes.
Sounds like an intermittent elec problem, but could be carb related. What carb, not the dreaded H or clone I hope?
With points, plugs will need to be completely dry & clean to produce a spark.
What is the dreaded 'H'? Holley?

Auto Transport Service
Back