• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stock 318 Poly Dual Exhaust Question.

TLH101

Local time
6:24 AM
Reaction score
Gonna get a set of dual exhaust installed next week on my '63 330 wagon with a 318 poly and stock manifolds. Planning on 2" exhaust pipes, glasspacks, and 1 3/4" or 1 7/8" tail pipes exiting behind the rear wheels.
Should I have them put in an "H" pipe? Also what length glasspacks would you recommend? I want and old school sound, not a "muscle car" growl.

thumbnail_20210109_103731.jpg

I would use nothing shorter than 18 inch body with a 3.5 inch outer case muffler and also 2 inch tailpipes.

I'd run them all the way out the back, if not your going to need hearing protection with that cab groaning! IMO 440'

I to would do 2" tailpipes on a 318. My 56 is a Hemi and I took them slightly futher than behind the rear wheels. If you look closely they are at the bumper but to the side.
20180907_180744.jpg

The H pipe will quieten it down a little, and give a more mellow tone. Mine used to "bark" more before the H pipe was installed. It's also more efficient due to the scavenging effect.
I'm still torn on which sounds better though.

Lots of good input here. I'd also recommend nothing shorter than an 18" glass pack. I used 24" on a 65 Coronet wagon and 2" pipe the whole way. Was real happy with the sound. It did bark some when you got on it. Mine was a 4 barrel poly setup. Previously I'd done virtually the same setup but with shorter mufflers on a 65 Satellite with a 2 barrel poly and was not as happy with the sound of that one. One of the mufflers rusted out a bit prematurely and I replaced them both with 24" units and was very pleased with the change.

Personally I'm not sure the H pipe is worth it for what I think you're trying to do. With a car like yours you may well find yourself wanting to do something else under the car that requires removing the exhaust, and the H pipe just makes that job more work.

Want old school sound ? Look up Smithy mufflers. Speedway Motors.

I like the sound of 2 1/4" better. All the way to the back. Yes put in a Y.

Auto Transport Service
Back