• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stock, restified, or race....... which would sell better??? 70 Roadrunner

Hemirunner

Local time
3:26 AM
Reaction score
I'm currently thinking about putting my 70RR up for sale. Considering the current market, which configuration would you think it would have the highest potential for selling?

Stock with a 383 (original 383 4spd car) and a 4spd....

Restified with the current pump gas 572 hemi and a 4spd....

Or race with the current 572 hemi, nitrous, auto, OD, 3.73 dana, caltrac split monos, alterktion coil over front, MSD digital programmable ignition, 6pt roll bar, drag wheels and 275 radials... car went 9.98 at 139.9 in the 1/4 and 6.44 at 111 in the 1/8th in this config at 4250# in the heat..

It's an older resto, paint about 1995 but still looks good.... looks like this with the street wheels on it....

DSC02020.jpg

Nice car! Personally, I would sell it as a restomod. Put the hemi in it, nd sel it for more. Unfortunately the maket is soft right now, but that desn't mean peple aren't shopping.

Mike

I would eliminate race option as I never seen a cage car go for as much as a numbers matching correct car of a 70 RR nature. You have expenses either way with the last 2 options as installing the original driveline and eliminating the cage so You need to calculate which option leaves a better bottom line..IF the 383 is not the numbers match....then I would lean towards option #3

The numbers matching 383 is long gone and 383 roadrunners are so common and for the most part a little boring.... so in my mind that's not the way to go... I can put it back to 572hemi 4spd and remove the cage for very little investment as I have most of the pieces..... I just don't know which of option 2 or 3 would be the most popular. I know the market is soft, would it support 50K for something like this?

Right now with the market so soft any thing you build is a tuff sell. Since it not numbers matching any longer that elimates that. Restormod if the market is better for sure. Race cars are a dime a dozen no matter when or what. Just be glad your not driving a Chevrolet, which would be worthless.

using the Barrett/Jackson and mechum as benchmarks...the bowties always get more money than mopar...I like all the 50/60 and early 70's cars....not a dyed in the wool mopar guy because of that: but I drive a 67 R/T

street car for sure will pull more money.even nice race cars do bad in the return for investment catagory.go with the restomod and the hemi.atleast that way you might get a big fish on the line with the hemi/4 speed combo.unless a race car has numbers and trophys to back it up,it aint ****.

Value isnt the only consideration. Race trim would eliminate prob 95% of the potential buyers, so even if you get your price you'll sit on that car a lot longer.

me, i'd leave the big motor, electronics and street tires and remove the cage and nitrous. For me, if you leave the automatic, make sure it's a streetable converter. Few people can stomach a 5000rpm stall.

^^^^^^explain? ^^^^^^

It's an older resto, paint about 1995 but still looks good.... looks like this with the street wheels on it....

I read into it like you are just showing this car in the picture as an example? Just asking if that is the case?

That's the actual car. That picture was taken about 6 years ago.

There's money walking around here and there and even some from over seas. I really like the pic of the car that you posted and I'm betting there are many others that do too. Forget the Cal-Tracs and the 'sauce' etc. I hate CT's and not that big on the juice either and I'm sure there are many that probably feel the same. Besides, if someone likes the go juice, it's not that hard to add it. jmho. Btw, I'm a drag racer but I also like streetable cars with AC! :D

Nice, A hemi would be nice to have in it. Something to consider,

Production numbers and what wold be more valuable. My white whale is the 70 RR 426 hemi 4 speed controvertible only 1 made! or the 440 2- 4 bbl's hardtop only 1 made. I love that green color you have, that and purple kick *** too . You could put a 440 six pack and get a good amount of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Either way you go good luck wish I could afford it! V code car 440 six 4 speed near me going for $69k asking price. been on the market almost 8 months now.

[h=2]70 Road Runner-Superbird-GTX Production Figures[/h]
Engine/Transmission
Coupe
Hardtop
Convertible
Superbird
GTX
383-4 3-speed
383-4 4-speed
383-4 automatic
383-4 total
440-4 4-speed
440-4 automatic
440-4 total
440-6 4-speed
440-6 automatic
440-6 total
426 Hemi 4-speed
426 Hemi automatic
426 Hemi total
Total Production

My original plan was to put it back to 572 hemi/4sp/dana street configuration and sell it so that's probably what will happen.....I have all the pieces to do so, with the exception of the front end rebuild kit for the original suspension.

put it back together as original as possible, and try and sell it along with all the extra racing gear and see what kind of offers you get,

or try and sell it as is along with all the original gear and see what kind of offers you get.........(less work this way)

either way would attract different kind of a buyer.

I thought about selling it all off as a complete package, car in current config (race trim, 572 hemi on spray) and including the new 525 indy headed hemi and all the stock stuff with it as well. Maybe drag down 65K as a full on package, but you'd have to find the 'right guy' so to speak. Not everyone would want it all and that's a chunk of change for anyone, let alone in this market.

A buddy with a 10 sec Challenger is having the same thoughts. The car has a big wedge, roll bar, etc. It is not "street" enough for the street and armchair concours guys, and not "race" enough for the race guys. Finding a buyer can be difficult. I think there are more "street" guys out there than there are race or hotrod guys, so the car may need to appeal to the street crowd to sell. But you need to invest more $$ to return it to stock; $$ that is not recoverable. The only thing buyers seem to have in common these days is the desire for something for nothing, regardless of value. And the Challenger is still for sale 2 years later because he will not give it away.

I prefer the street/strip stuff and mine is one that you can drive across country to the strip and run a high nine and drive back. The purist ridicule me for "beating" on a very nice car and the race guys think having license plates is a waste! I don't want to give it away and I'm not in a position where I have to sell. I have another project I'm working on and I'd like to get my money out of this one and put it into the new one. I don't need two. I'm not sure it will sell in this economy so I may have to just keep it.

I would say it depends on if you're going to do another car down the road. The Hemi is big $$$ - so if you put this RR back to a 383 I think you might be money ahead keeping the Hemi for a later project....

Auto Transport Service
Back