• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stock steel valve covers - studs instead of bolts?

moparedtn

I got your Staff Member riiiight heeeere...
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:18 PM
Reaction score
I have recently procured a nice set of original 60's Mopar chrome steel valve covers that I'm going to be installing on the ol' 440.
I'd like to use studs and nuts rather than bolts, but the stud kits I'm finding all have quite the long shoulder on the studs in between the threaded parts.
I realize that's for cast valve covers, but I reckon using such studs with steel covers only will lead to the nuts bottoming out against those "shanks" before making a good seal.

Short of buying a length of 1/4" all-thread and hacking up a set of studs myself, has anyone else used studs on steel valve covers? If so, what did you use?
I'll be using the black rubber FelPro gaskets if that makes any difference...

Heck ed, If the studs your finding are to long to the shoulder get you some bolts the correct length and a fine blade for the saw, cut the heads off and start that cut end into the head and have the factory end up for the nuts.

Heck ed, If the studs your finding are to long to the shoulder get you some bolts the correct length and a fine blade for the saw, cut the heads off and start that cut end into the head and have the factory end up for the nuts.
Thanks my friend, but they're gonna be a tad short. Been there, got the bloody knuckles...

Moroso studs and wing nuts
Oh thanks, but I don't "do" wing nuts. I did check out their other kits, but they don't have anything stainless, just black.

Look through these. They make longer if you search through the cast valve covers. These are for stamped covers but might be too short if you're using the thicker gasket.
www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/valve-cover-fasteners/valve-cover-construction/stamped/brand/arp
Thanks! We may have a winner here:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/arp-400-7602
Says they're specifically for stamped covers AND they're stainless. Primo! Think I'll try a set.
You know, I dug through the ARP website and couldn't find these....operator error I guess.

I use Allen head set screws, bottomed out in the head. Available in lots of lengths and lots of places.
And stainless steel.
Any idea how far down the holes in the head are threaded? Thought about this, then realized it would probably take some trial and error to get the length
right - and I'm a country mile from the nearest joint that would have such things in stock.
Thanks, guys.

I would also recommend these types of washers to help prevent puckering the stamping when tightened.
https://www.ebay.com/p/Mopar-Perfor...-Chrome-Set-of-12/1222250225?iid=292433323340
I like that idea too. Thanks!

Or, make your own "load spreaders":
IMG_0267.JPG

Have you looked through the McMaster Carr site?

I have some that there is very little boss. Mine came from Au-ve-co. page 114 Huge selection of fasteners

Last edited:
Thanks my friend, but they're gonna be a tad short. Been there, got the bloody knuckles...

Oh thanks, but I don't "do" wing nuts. I did check out their other kits, but they don't have anything stainless, just black.

Thanks! We may have a winner here:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/arp-400-7602
Says they're specifically for stamped covers AND they're stainless. Primo! Think I'll try a set.
You know, I dug through the ARP website and couldn't find these....operator error I guess.

Any idea how far down the holes in the head are threaded? Thought about this, then realized it would probably take some trial and error to get the length
right - and I'm a country mile from the nearest joint that would have such things in stock.
Thanks, guys.

I like that idea too. Thanks!
There appears to be around a half inch of thread in the head. I used 1" long 1/4-20 with a six bolt cover and cork gasket, standard thickness washers. On my four bolt covers I used 1 1/4" because of 1/4" home made load spreaders. 1 1/4 will work in most applications, just might have a little excess thread showing.

It's worth the money for a quality product. I used ARP with my cast valve covers. I like the tip on the end for ease of starting the nut.

I've always been curious as why the holes in the head are drilled at a slight angle. Maybe for ease of installing the cover? I know with the bottom row, you have to start the nuts by hand until they are low enough to get a thinwall socket on them. You don't notice this as much useing bolts.

20180819_133629.jpg
20180819_133640.jpg

I just read that somewhere also KK - that they purposely drilled and tapped the holes at an angle on the factory heads.
Apparently aftermarket ones are drilled straight.
Why, I have no idea.

I just read that somewhere also KK - that they purposely drilled and tapped the holes at an angle on the factory heads.
Apparently aftermarket ones are drilled straight.
Why, I have no idea.

One thought I had, it was to clear the exhaust manifold when installing. You know how close they can be and installing the cover straight down they might catch on it. ???

I tried using a stud kit on the 440 in my Coronet.
Wouldn't work. I ended up having to go to hardware store and buy a bunch of bolts and cut them to size.
The 452 heads didn't have the holes tapped at very good angles.
Was way more of a task than it should have been.
Perhaps the more traditional heads are better

I tried using a stud kit on the 440 in my Coronet.
Wouldn't work. I ended up having to go to hardware store and buy a bunch of bolts and cut them to size.
The 452 heads didn't have the holes tapped at very good angles.
Was way more of a task than it should have been.
Perhaps the more traditional heads are better

I'm using the 452s in my pics. The angle is pretty steep on the studs. More than I remembered them being. Takes a little effort to get those cast covers off and back on. (Rubber Mallet)

20180315_171511.jpg
I tried for too long and could not get them too work. Finally gave up. I had a hell of a time just using bolts. Sure hope I don't
need to pull valve covers.
Probably will because I want to put a better rocker assy in eventually.
I suspect that these cast MP covers may also be to blame
20180217_180541.jpg

I also had to do a little machining with a ball peen hammer on the right head to get the R2R dist to work.
20180315_171458.jpg

I bought the plain unpolished summit cast valve covers and test fit them on both victors and 906s, because of the bolt angle, (and because they're chinese). The center lower row of holes had to be moved almost an eighth inch to work with either head, bolts or studs. The gasket surface was good (after I sanded it on a granite surface plate) , but I fear sealing up the breathers might prove to be an ongoing problem.

Auto Transport Service
Back