• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stock water pump not pumping

Dmoss69

Local time
7:34 PM
Reaction score
Ive been experiencing the dreded overheating problems, and see that im not alone. Check this out...
(Cannot post video)

With thermostat housing removed, engine running, i have absolutely no water flow at all!
I have the 8 vane pump, stock housing, and will be doing some troubleshooting on impellar to housing clearance soon. Hopefully i can get a video up and running

Collapsed lower hose. Impeller shaft stripped so it slips and doesn't turn impeller. Only seen that once.

Lower hose is fine, i will pull water pump again and check for stripped impeller shaft, but it felt fine when i had it off

Do you prove there’s no other restriction? What’s the condition of the radiator. I would find it hard to believe the water pump isn’t working.

Almost looks like it is trying to move coolant from the top hose, if it is new I wonder if they put the la impeller on??? Had that once drove me nuts and I put a second new pump on that's when I found it. Rebuilders have hundreds of impellors around so I can see how it could happen.

That would defiantly do it also. Tons of stuff can cause that collapsed hose, loose impeller, way to much rust in the block/radiator etc....

If this is a veteran pump that you have had on the car for a while, i would bet on a loose impeller . If its a new-to-you pump, it could be the wrong impeller, maybe a reverse rotation from a serpentine system.

Do you prove there’s no other restriction? What’s the condition of the radiator. I would find it hard to believe the water pump isn’t working.
Radiator was full of crud, flushed it out, can run water hose in radiator and it runs out of thermostat hole. No restrictions

Even when its reved up, the only water that comes out is from the air off the fans blowing across the hole sucks the water up out of housing. I just got this car a month ago, and noticed how hot it runs. New pump was on it, so it was known. Ill keep yall posted

It sounds like it got sold to you cause the previous owner couldnt fix the overheating either. Thats supposed to be a new pump? Clearly, something wrong with it. Step one.... buy a new pump.
Im betting the "new pump" the p.o. put on has a bad/wrong impeller.

What was the final verdict on the cooling problem?

Auto Transport Service
Back