• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stop the Hop

ike9659

Local time
1:33 PM
Reaction score
Has anyone figured out the best way to stop the hop? my 66 coronet wheel hops ferociously under heavy acceleration

Wornout springs or shocks, or both. And maybe spring bushings. As an experiment, make some clamps for the front segment of the springs.... and maybe remove the ones on the rear segment.
Next: shocks (cheaper and easier than spring replacement. )
If it were mine? SS springs and adjustable shocks (HD springs from espo or others, if the ss "lean" bothers you.)

I'm no expert but my guess would be worn out springs as 33 stated above.
Wheel hop on our Mopars is rare because of the spring design when compared to the Furds and Chebys.
Stop doing burnouts will solve it as well. :lol:

Agree on worn parts.

Also agree wheel hop on a Mopar is rare.

When my buddy was having parties after hours at his auto repair business, we sang that as "at the shop".

Shop, shop, shop, shop......at the shop.

Let's go to the shop (oh, baby).

Just add as set of part store "slapper bar" traction bars and the problem will go away instantly

I'm no expert but my guess would be worn out springs as 33 stated above.
Wheel hop on our Mopars is rare because of the spring design when compared to the Furds and Chebys.
Stop doing burnouts will solve it as well. :lol:
For a reply to the first two suggestions, springs, bushings and shocks are in great shape. Regarding the burn outs, I honestly don’t do them but at a 15-20 mph roll and hard acceleration the tires hop very bad, ease off and go to second same thing, even in to third gear…

This is one of those times that you could see if an adjustable snubber helps

For a reply to the first two suggestions, springs, bushings and shocks are in great shape. Regarding the burn outs, I honestly don’t do them but at a 15-20 mph roll and hard acceleration the tires hop very bad, ease off and go to second same thing, even in to third gear…
Just trying to help. How old are your springs? What makes you say they are in great shape?

Sure sounds like weak leaf springs to me.

might want to put your wheels on a balancer just to be sure nothings wrong there! I know some of these cars sit for long periods without use and tires can become flat spotted!
although you might be able to check it partially by jacking it and rotating the tires against some type of rigged indicator!

Clamp the front of the spring and remove the clamps from the rear.

Note on the pic the body separation and tire being driven into the track.
5B8726CB-FF4D-4E87-857A-30F7DCD038B1.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back