• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stories about selling or 'offers' for your old rides?

Ron H

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:36 AM
Reaction score
Another topic prompted me to post this one about comical or irritating ‘offers’ we’ve had from people to buy our old rides. Here’s a couple of mine:

Years ago I decided I might sell my rather nice CA Plymouth at a car corral at a meet. I had invested a few grand in it by then before eventually doing a complete restoration a few years later. I posted the asking price on it with my phone number then went about the swap meet and car show. I get a voice message from this guy making a ridiculous ‘firm’ offer, for less than half the price, telling me to return his call promptly before his offer ‘expires’. Deleted the message. Couple hours later I’m back by my car talking with another guy on selling it. The guy comes up asking why I didn’t return his call. I said I got your message and deleted it…is that a sufficient reply?

I reckon I’m not alone with getting stupid cold call offers to buy our old rides selling or not. Not long ago a delivery guy saw my car in the garage asking if he could look at it. Fine no problem. Says “Man I’d sure like to buy it…would you take 10 grand for it? I said well…I got 35 grand in it. Another guy at a show asked me “Would you sell your car?” I replied everything’s for sale at the right price; but I’m pretty sure your idea on the price is way different than mine. Was enough to end this chat as we both found it humorous.

I would have plenty of guys coming by from all directions - seeing the X for the first time and in awe. Then they would say how much is it worth - and throw out a number that might pay for the paint job. Unless they’re serious car guys most just really have no idea. If they’re serious car guys and then throw out a stupid number - you know they’re Ferd or Chubby and don’t know anything about a Mopar. And of course most of them want stay for a bit to talk about the “GTO”……

The first show I attended after I acquired my numbers matching '69 Track Pak GTX, a guy asked me what I'd take for it. I told him, not for sale right now, unless you are that urban legend who cruises car shows, and offers owners of rare Mopars a ridiculous price, paid from a paper bag full of cash. I've heard about him for years, never met him. Guy answers, "My wife has the bag, I'll be right back!" Surprise, I never saw him again.

IMG_2278.JPG

Last edited:
I once had a1964 Polara 500 convertible that I wished to sell. This car had been rotisserie restored to a very high detail, and was equipped with a 426 Street Wedge sporting a '62 Chrysler 2 X 4 intake and carb setup. I had gone to a local large cruise night up here in Ontario, Can., and had placed a "For Sale" on the dash. The next day, I had parked the car in my laneway, forgetting the sign was still on the dash. An older gentleman in a pickup truck pulled in and got out to check my car out. I wandered out to meet him and he asked if the car was still for sale. I confirmed that it was, and he asked me the price. I told him that I was looking for fifty five for it. He continued to carefully inspect my convertible, and then asked if I would take five thousand for it. I had to explain that I was asking 55 THOUSAND, not 55 HUNDRED. The man was clearly embarrassed and quickly left.

11.jpg 45.jpg

Dave’s story reminds me of an experience that happens to me all the time.
I buy and sell many things, not because I make money at it, but because I get tired of stuff, or have found a better example. My prices are always more then fair, in fact I frequently just give stuff away rather then deal with a bunch of hassle.
Yet there are always those that will try to chisel you down. Example:
Years ago I bought two nice snow machines. Used them only occasionally, and once daughter moved out and I got old wife and I decided to move them on. They are older, but in good shape, low miles. In fact one had 1400 miles on it, nothing for up here when just one hunting trip can put two hundred miles on. Anyway...
They are worth somewhere around fifteen hundred each, sitting in my yard. And that is a fair price that similar models actually sell for. I want eight hundred a piece, just to move them out. Dipshits would actually go “ummm... would you take five hundred?” I always reply “I’d be more comfortable somewhere up around a thousand, but I can go higher if you’d like.”

Last edited:
Another time, my wife and I attended the Mopar Nationals about 30 years ago, with our 1964 Polara 4-door hardtop. This is an unusual car, in that a lot of B-body guys never realized this body style was available. Our car was doubly weird, because it was Canada-built with what amounted to a Plymouth Fury interior. It was also optioned with the Sport Package, which gave it front bucket seats and console, a Canada-only combo. We were parked with other cars on the fun show field. Upon returning to our car after checking out the swap meet, the people next to us asked if our car was for sale. They went on to say that some guy had really looked the car over and really wanted to buy it, and would return. I had not considered selling it, but thought I might like to find out what this guy had in mind, pricewise. So we hung around for a while, taking a break to wait for this man to return. After a while, with no show, we decided to continue searching the swap meet. When we later returned to our car, the people next to us told us that we had just missed this guy again, with him returning just after we left. This happened a couple more times during the course of the afternoon. I found out the next day that it was one of my so-called "friends" playing a practical joke on us, using the innocent folks parked next to us.

1964 Dodge 1.jpg 1964 Dodge.jpg

I had a guy offer me $600 for a 69 Nova that I got from my aunt when I was 18. It was a real nice car, albeit a Chevy, but I was pretty insulted.

Driving my wife's Challenger down Woodward. A guy pulls up next to me in a Ferrari and asks me to pull over. He asks if the car is for sale. I say not really. He ask's what it would take to buy it. I answer I don't know. He says will you take $50K? I sad I'd have to ask my wife. He gives me his number and says "let me know". I come home and tell my wife. She says if we sell it you'll just have to start over cause you know they'll be an empty slot in the garage. We still have it.
Doug

20180511_171154.jpg

20170215_185422.jpg

I get offers on my cars all the time. I always tell them they are not for sale. I am not in this hobby to make money. I enjoy for the cars the friends and people you meet etc. One time I was in a gas station getting gas and across the pump from me a well dressed gentleman in a BMW or Mercedes (whatever fancy foreign car it was) asks me if it is for sale. I respectfully tell him it is not. While we are talking and filling up our cars he places a briefcase on his roof and clicks the latches and says what we it take to sell? I say no again it is not for sale, but to this day I wonder what and how much was in the briefcase???

I get offers on my cars all the time. I always tell them they are not for sale. I am not in this hobby to make money. I enjoy for the cars the friends and people you meet etc. One time I was in a gas station getting gas and across the pump from me a well dressed gentleman in a BMW or Mercedes (whatever fancy foreign car it was) asks me if it is for sale. I respectfully tell him it is not. While we are talking and filling up our cars he places a briefcase on his roof and clicks the latches and says what we it take to sell? I say no again it is not for sale, but to this day I wonder what and how much was in the briefcase???
Probably the lease papers for the car he was driving…..

My cars I take out most to cruises and shows are burnt orange and brown. No one ever bothers me wanting to buy either.
Not a car story but parts. Last year I was at a swap meet and had a nice pair of small block valve covers on my table priced at $45.
A guy comes up and says his friend is looking for those. He contacts his friend and has me hold them up while he FaceTimes them. He offers me $30, which was too low but I’m about to pack and eager to get rid of stuff so reluctantly agreed.
He says what about a breather cap. I tell him there isn’t one included, but I do have one for $10. He says ok, I’ll give you $20 for all. So a few minutes ago it’s $30 for the valve covers, now it’s $20 if I throw in the breather?
I said no. He said, I’ll let you think about it and stop back later.
Think about what? I think you and your friend are cheap jerks and good luck with your search as you aren’t buying mine!
A couple months later a guy contacted me about an old listing I’d had on them on a forum and bought the valve covers for $45+shipping.

Maybe 4 years back I had a low mile car I'd purchased in Southern California in the early 90's. I had the car sitting in my swap meet stall, so was normally busy dealing with parts sales. The same guy came by 5 separate times to look over the car. Kept asking me questions, and then would just stand there and look at the car, then another question, repeat.

I found myself continually saying "excuse me, I've a customer over on the parts side". He always seemed insulted that I wouldn't stand there next to him. After the third go around I'd had about enough of him, so remained polite but stayed on the parts side. The 4th and 5th times he had a lady with him, I assumed to be his wife. She seemed pleasant enough and he kept pointing things out on the car, asked if she could sit in it, etc.

They left again and I didn't see him till late in the day. At that point he came up to me with the lady in tow, and made me a plain stupid lowball offer. I just said "the price is the price, I'm fine taking the car home'. He says "I had to try. I'll take the car. Can I give you a deposit now and bring the balance to you in a couple hours?".

At that point the lady with him had an absolute meltdown. She lit into him big time, yelling, screaming, even a few four letter words about how he didn't need the car. I just said "Buddy, you don't need the car that bad". He attempted to calm her down and still close the deal. I just told him I wasn't going to sell him the car.

I had a younger guy come buy to look at a 440 once before cell phones. He left me a $50.00 deposit and said he would be back tomorrow with his Dad, a truck and their engine hoist to load it. Never heard and seen from him again. I kept his $50.00 in the back of my wallet. 3 years later(no joke) he approaches me at a cruise night and says you still have my 440. I will come by tomorrow to pick it up. I had since sold it off to someone else and gave him his money back. However, he was upset with me that I still didn't have it? WTF!!!

Worst sale ever was to the boyfriend of the daughter of my mothers friend. Told him I would take payments on a 1977 Cordoba 360 4-bbl, sunroof car that I was selling for maybe $1,000 or less. I lost money on that deal.

Some people don't take "its' not for sale", and keep wanting a price on the car?

Yeah – crazy chit with some folks. I have a HS buddy with a ’65 El Camino he restored nicely. We go to shows together. Last summer at a show this guy walks up to him asking about buying the car, despite it not up for sale as my buddy informed him. Guy says you must have a price in mind that would tempt you to sell it. My friend says well ok, make an offer. Guy says what would you take for it? Bud replies what would you give me for it? Guy then says give me a price. Lol, the back & forth BS went on while this dude was getting pissy cuz my bud wouldn’t name a price..

I had a younger guy come buy to look at a 440 once before cell phones. He left me a $50.00 deposit and said he would be back tomorrow with his Dad, a truck and their engine hoist to load it. Never heard and seen from him again. I kept his $50.00 in the back of my wallet. 3 years later(no joke) he approaches me at a cruise night and says you still have my 440. I will come by tomorrow to pick it up. I had since sold it off to someone else and gave him his money back. However, he was upset with me that I still didn't have it? WTF!!!
Was mighty nice of you to return his 50 bucks. Lol, ya should have told him you were waiting for him and you just sold the car three days ago figuring he wasn't going to show.

I would have plenty of guys coming by from all directions - seeing the X for the first time and in awe. Then they would say how much is it worth - and throw out a number that might pay for the paint job. Unless they’re serious car guys most just really have no idea. If they’re serious car guys and then throw out a stupid number - you know they’re Ferd or Chubby and don’t know anything about a Mopar. And of course most of them want stay for a bit to talk about the “GTO”……
Reminds me of a guy at a gas station looking at my 63 Fury saying how nice it is and thanked him for the comment. He keeps looking at it then asks “Plymouth huh, who made that car?” I replied Pontiac. He says “Oh yeah, now I remember Plymouth by Pontiac”. I was going to say who made it.......but after he said this I figured I best leave it..

Last summer while working on the GTX in my driveway, a mid 40’s guy drives by once, then twice, then stopped on his third pass and said very nice car, I said thank you, he then asked, will you take 25k, I said as half down, sure!
He said thanks anyway and drove away.
I get tired of saying it’s not for sale, it’s going to my son someday

In all my years of driving Chargers I'm frequently asked if I'll sell but I've never had anyone throw out a huge crazy number like other people claim. Some classic car owners say they have 2 or 3 solid standing offers so not sure what to think about all that.

Reminds me of a guy at a gas station looking at my 63 Fury saying how nice it is and thanked him for the comment. He keeps looking at it then asks “Plymouth huh, who made that car?” I replied Pontiac. He says “Oh yeah, now I remember Plymouth by Pontiac”. I was going to say who made it.......but after he said this I figured I best leave it..
Okay that’s priceLess…..Lol

Auto Transport Service
Back