• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stovepipe Choke Question

Skytrooper

1SG (Ret.)
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:53 AM
Reaction score
First the basics;
1971 Dodge 440Magnum HP. Automatic xmsn, Carter AVS #4968S carb. 2951-653 Choke assy.

The issue: It does not appear that there is enough room under the carb castings for it (the choke assy) to fit. Is there supposed to be a carb spacer ? If so how tall ? I have the louvers and under tray power bulge hood and I don't want to have a clearance issue with that , either.

Last edited:
You most likely have the wrong choke. Does your intake have the removeable choke well?

If your factory 1971 intake has the choke well , if I remember correctly the Carter AVS base gasket is around 3/16" - 1/4" thick

1971 440 Magnum HP Auto should have the 4968 Carter AVS

Yes it takes a thick base gasket. The choke sounds right, the carb won’t fit over it with a thin base gasket.

Last edited:
Sorry, typo...it is a Carter AVS 4968S . Yes, I have the factory intake manifold with the choke well.

Thanks Bee ! I ordered one today from Auto Zone. It will be in my hot little hand at 8 am !

Thanks for the help guys !!

Auto Transport Service
Back