• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STP display bottle

Mike Szadaj

Local time
12:24 AM
Reaction score
I picked this up at a flea market. The seller had quite a few of them, and thinks they were a display item. The bottle is only half full on purpose. On the counter at the auto parts supply store, the idea would be for the potential buyer to turn the bottle over and then observe how slowly it flowed. The label reads Chemical Compounds, Inc. St Joseph, MO. That is where STP originated. As you can see, the STP letters are just block letters, not the more familiar style of letters on the can. I shot them side by side for scale comparison. Has anyone ever seen one of these? I paid $5, and after getting home and looking them up on Epay, I think it was a good price. It sure is an unusual item to add to my oil can collection. ( How many of you remember the screwdriver test?).

9301.jpg

Last edited:
I remember the test, dip a flat blade screwdriver in STP, and then using your thumb and index finger grab the blade end and try to hold it.

That's like the Lucas oil fidget spinner!
iu.jpg

I definitely remember the cans. Nice score

I too used STP for assembly lube. I found it particularly good for an engine that would not be fired for a long time. I'd mix it 50/50 with engine oil. The stuff would never completely run off whatever it was applied to. Was really good for surfaces that would not get oiled when pre-lubing the system. Also still use Lubriplate for the same job, without mixing with oil, of course.

Auto Transport Service
Back