• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STR-14

moparmarkk

Local time
10:49 AM
Reaction score
Hi,anybody out there know what rpm the str-14 is good for? thanks ,Mark

Not in this case.
I searched "obsolete edelbrock manifolds" ,got to a victory tech papers site that showed the str 14, but it required follow-up steps to get more info that i couldnt do on my tablet.
If you search the above , you might get to the same place and get some info.

Last edited:
What rpm do you want, pretty sure it's good to at least 6500 rpm. Maybe a bit more.

to one of the posters he's talking box style
about the Edelbrock Cross ram STR style intakes

this one is an example with a modified top & spaces
2 4bbls inline & with a valley cover welded in too
Intake 413-426w-440 Edelbrock STR-14 RB Cross Ram custom top with 2x4bbls inline.jpg

there's a lot of them out there that have been modified
some are better than others

there's a couple mods that should be done so you don't get
dead spots & fuel puddlings & foul #7 plugs IIRC

I had one for a while on a hot street car back in the early 80's
with a 950cfm 3bbl, mid 11 second car
it'd pull hard to 7000rpm + (engine wasn't really built to spin that high)
I didn't feel any flat spots or bogging at all or ever

I think the RPM limits are more valve-springs & camshaft selection
or how the carbs are tuned
than it is the intake capabilities
I think it does better than a tunnel-ram for street driving

Budnicks 69 RR 440ci str-6bbl #2.JPG

it's a cool intake, but there better choices
it's cool for the look & for a vintage build

I had a STR-14-6 too, also street driven on my daily driver, 4 speed car
not much different than the OE manifold,
except
but far more seat of the pants torque/pull feeling down lower RPM's
great throttle response too

I Loved it on both cases
& did al the Tom Hoover 1975 bulletin suggestions

Intake 413-426w-440 Edelbrock STR-14-6 Cross Ram Tom Hoover 9-1975  jetting.jpg

Intake 413-426w-440 Edelbrock STR-14-6 Cross Ram Tom Hoover 9-1975 modification bulletin drawing.jpg

Last edited:
Damon runs a STR-15 for his car so similar setup. He has a lot of experience in making both the cross rams and carbs work. if you search the NSS site you can probable get an idea of what kind of power he is making by backing into an ET/HP calculator. I don't know what RPM/power you are looking for but I think you might get so good answers from him. http://www.fugly-racing.com/

You'll do better with an Indy mod man . Dont know if I've ever seen one go in the 9s if so , barely.
Doug

Thanks to all who replied,I have one with a 4500 top now,was looking for some input on rpm range,looking at what rpm it starts making power,like out of the hole. Mark

I would be surprised if it makes any power below 3500-4000. I would be shocked if cylinder to cylinder distribution with a four barrel is any good at all.

I don't know the answer to your question, but in the early years, we ran an STR-14 with the cross-ram top and two Carter 750's. On a mild build, it went low 11's. I shifted at 6500 RPM. It was never dyno'd with that intake.

I don't know the answer to your question, but in the early years, we ran an STR-14 with the cross-ram top and two Carter 750's. On a mild build, it went low 11's. I shifted at 6500 RPM. It was never dyno'd with that intake.
what rpm did you leave at? and how was it out of the hole? thanks for the reply mark

what rpm did you leave at? and how was it out of the hole? thanks for the reply mark
I would leave around 1800 RPM. It's a push-button automatic, with a 3500 RPM converter.

to one of the posters he's talking box style
about the Edelbrock Cross ram STR style intakes

this one is an example with a modified top & spaces
2 4bbls inline & with a valley cover welded in too
View attachment 974451

there's a lot of them out there that have been modified
some are better than others

there's a couple mods that should be done so you don't get
dead spots & fuel puddlings & foul #7 plugs IIRC

I had one for a while on a hot street car back in the early 80's
with a 950cfm 3bbl, mid 11 second car
it'd pull hard to 7000rpm + (engine wasn't really built to spin that high)
I didn't feel any flat spots or bogging at all or ever

I think the RPM limits are more valve-springs & camshaft selection
or how the carbs are tuned
than it is the intake capabilities
I think it does better than a tunnel-ram for street driving

View attachment 974464

it's a cool intake, but there better choices
it's cool for the look & for a vintage build

I had a STR-14-6 too, also street driven on my daily driver, 4 speed car
not much different than the OE manifold,
except
but far more seat of the pants torque/pull feeling down lower RPM's
great throttle response too

I Loved it on both cases
& did al the Tom Hoover 1975 bulletin suggestions

View attachment 974411

View attachment 974420
This post by Budnicks has some of the best info you can use for that intake.
I read up on just about every aftermarket RB intake from that era, that had multiple carburetors. The intake at hand worked best for the majority of those who commented about it over the years with 2 4bbl carbs. Some used 3x2 bbl carbs. The BEST power making intake of that old school era for a RB engine that was a multi carb setup is the 3x2 bbl Weiand that I have, from what I read.
If there are other opinions, I won't argue, but I absolutely will stand on this statement: the 6bbl intake that makes the most horsepower and torque, available from a manufacturer (IOW not a fabricated intake) is definitely the Weiand P3690982 6bbl intake.
20200604_135643.jpg

that is a killer intake,far and few for sale, I have a str-14,4500 top, been on the self for years,was thinking about using it,but wanted some real world input, biomedtechguy have you run your setup,if so share what happened,thanks mark

that is a killer intake,far and few for sale, I have a str-14,4500 top, been on the self for years,was thinking about using it,but wanted some real world input, biomedtechguy have you run your setup,if so share what happened,thanks mark
So far, my first hand experience is I discovered that I need a new hood for it to fit....
I have done more research on this intake though than any healthy mind should.
My car is in the shop until September, and early October is the 8 days of Cruisin' the Coast, and I still have my warmed over 440 doing underhood duties, so I don't think I'm going to swap over to the Weiand before Cruisin the Coast.
I HAVE learned a lot from Mopar family members who have and are using the Weiand, some for 10+ years including street duty.
All of the racing guys say the only intake that produced more power from a 3x 2bbl setup were custom fabricated units.

Traded a B body pistol grip shifter with mech.
To a brother that really needed one for his 70 RR
Anybody need this top plate ?
Not doing me any good.
Cash or trade ?

20220531_053512.jpg

20220531_053521.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back