• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

straight 6 stroker

I've done Jeep strokers for years
The 258 was a stroked 232, came with different deck heights over the years so select carefully
Most popular is the 258 crank in the 3 7/8 bore Jeep 4.0 block
early attempts used the short rods and stock pistons- no quench
but using the long rods solved that
you can also offset grind the crank to optimize quench
My last one had a Hesco head and MP EFI- could be a rock crawler or off road blaster- worked both ways
Cam selection is important
The late 4.0 heads are better than earlier large port 199/232 or smaller port but better flowing 258 heads.
Early on we could get "Mexican" Blocks they came 252 cu in with the 232 stroke
Cranks are either Armasteel (look it up) or high PSI nodular Iron
we ran one at 1200 HP on Dick Jones Champion Spark plug dyno and over 1000 HP for 4 hrs
AMC is the Strongest 6 cyl block
Early on the Broach was knocking out the mains on the production line so they filled in the Main Webs- Half inch main bolts
On the Indy build we just milled the main caps flat, put on steel straps and used stock head bolts in the mains- then line bore NO PROBLEMS
Wish Chrysler had kept that block in production
I can see it now with DOHC and DI

Not bad, especially for a budget build...
BUT
I don't know of a better straight 6 than the Toyota 2JZ.
Those 3 liter engines can be bought, complete and assembled as they were, including the twin turbos, wiring harness, and ECU for $2k-$3k
Good for 500-600 HP without losing any longevity, and there are examples that are putting out over 1k HP.
That is a rare opportunity in that Toyota was flush with cash and really over engineered and over built that motor, and the materials that went into it make it a beast.
I can't wait for my best friend to fire up his Conquest TSi with the 2JZ in it, and I had a 2.6L 4 cyl 89 Conquest TSi that had some mods done and it was a blast.
I like the TSi so much, I'd like to have another one, but with about a 500-600HP 2JZ mill in it. WOW.
This looks like the one I had. Fiji Blue
This one runs NINE seconds in the 1/4 mile!

This will be my last post about this. I don't want to step on the Jeep 6 cyl thread.

A friend was a line mechanic at an IH dealership for 25 years. When I got a 258 Scout, I said something about AMC. He said: "come look at this", then took me over to his Manual Library and pulled one of his many IHC manuals. The page he turned to had available power plants and who manufactured them. It had DT, Perkins, and among all of the others, Self. IH built many engines for other manufacturers through the years, most recently the Powerstroke.
On the 232 and 258 line it listed manufacturer as "Self". Then I thought of the Rocker design and materials like high nickel blocks and it made sense. The Pedestals, Shaft, and Rockers are just like my IH V-8's.

Auto Transport Service
Back