• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange brake shoe pattern?

idrivemopar

Local time
6:38 AM
Reaction score
I pulled off my rear wheels today to take a look at the back brakes, and noticed there is not much wear on them and the front shoe has most of the wear and its even but there is a strange pattern on the back shoe. Now, the drums fit snug, just barely touching the shoes and the adjusters have done their job snugging them up properly, everything is new with about 800 miles on them. Also, I have never really done any hard braking either, but I would suspect some wear and an even pattern on both shoes. Is it just an uneven surface from when they were made and just dont have enough miles yet to wear in? Any ideas?
20160920_162451.jpg

Remember, the rears only do about 20% of the braking, but I'd just maybe readjust them and let 'em wear in.

I assume you have the primary and secondary in the correct position?

That sure looks like the secondary shoe, marks could have come from pulling off drum. Run 'em.

I think you are looking at the trailing edge....if you look underneath on that same shoe it looks like it has more wear...They probably haven't set in yet or are not exactly centered.
The last set of Mopar drums I messed with was on Moms 74 Dart, I think I was 14.... But on GM/Ford I know you can have them off center and still get the drum on.

Yep, 800 miles is nothing.

That pattern is from the shoe manufacturer. Years ago we had a machine that would true the lining to a smoother radius to match the drum. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you start noticing a chatter coming from the rear.

Mike67-remember the primary shoe touches first then everything kinda rotates & the secondary(rear) takes most of the force, nowhere for it to move to. I was going by how much lining was covering the steel, primaries are always the shorter lining of the two.

Think 'Mullet'; short in front, long in rear. It's a good way to remember the position of the shoes.

Thanks for the replies, I think everyone covered it, and they just have worn in yet, and yes, the shoes are oriented properly as coloradodave said, pretty funny way to remember!

Auto Transport Service
Back