• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

strange headlight issues

Dignan

Local time
10:19 PM
Reaction score
Got a strange one. 68 charger and the headlights do not turn on. All the marker, dash and interior lights work. When I tried the brights, they flashed. Then realized they will stay on if I hold the floor button switch on the floor. But if I let it off, all 4 headlights turn off but all the markers still work at all times. The floor switch seems fine as it clicks for all positions. The regular beams will only come on when the brights are activated as described above. I would just drive around with my left foot on the floor, but its a manual so I have to shift.... If this has happened to anyone, or anyone has thoughts that would be helpful. I'm guessing a ground issue maybe but don't know where to start looking?

Got a strange one. 68 charger and the headlights do not turn on. All the marker, dash and interior lights work. When I tried the brights, they flashed. Then realized they will stay on if I hold the floor button switch on the floor. But if I let it off, all 4 headlights turn off but all the markers still work at all times. The floor switch seems fine as it clicks for all positions. The regular beams will only come on when the brights are activated as described above. I would just drive around with my left foot on the floor, but its a manual so I have to shift.... If this has happened to anyone, or anyone has thoughts that would be helpful. I'm guessing a ground issue maybe but don't know where to start looking?
Test the wires at the dimmer switch. Sounds like a bad switch to me esp with the lights capable of coming on.

I would change the high/low switch ,there cheap then go from there.

unplug the connector from the dimmer switch. Make a jump wire. Turn headlight switch on and jump from the green wire to the red and violet wires one at a time.

Violet is low, Red is high. Make sure the lights operate properly before replacing anything. Test the dimmer after doing that. Dimmers tend to get wet from leaky seal, etc... so corrosion is very typical.

Auto Transport Service
Back